Junior Member

Default What width of link belt to get ..

i have a Harbor Freight and am trying to put a link belt (1/2 inch wide) on the pulley and it does not seem to fall completely into the groves. 1/2 inch is the size of the original belt but of course it is kind of tapered on the inside. Can someone tell me what is the size to use for the link belt? 5/8 or even 3/8. thanks for any help
Silvan

Paul D wrote:

i have a Harbor Freight and am trying to put a link belt (1/2 inch wide)

A Harbor Freight *what*? They sell more than one machine you know.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Joe67 wrote:

sometimes you get some really dumb answers

Especially when you ask really dumb questions. Read the question again:

i have a Harbor Freight and am trying to put a link belt (1/2 inch wide)

A Harbor Freight WHAT I ask again. Drill press? Table saw? Jointer?
Lathe? What model? How the hell can anyone answer this question as asked?
To tell you what width of belt you need, first the answerer would need to
know exactly what machine and model you have, and then the answerer would
need to be familiar with that machine so s/he could know what kind of
pulleys and whatnots it has. All machines at Harbor Freight are not
created equal.

So I was attempting to prompt the original poster (you?) for more
information, so that his question might be answered in a useful way.

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me. Asshole.

Paul D wrote:
i have a Harbor Freight and am trying to put a link belt (1/2 inch

wide)
on the pulley and it does not seem to fall completely into the

groves.
1/2 inch is the size of the original belt but of course it is kind of
tapered on the inside. Can someone tell me what is the size to use

for
the link belt? 5/8 or even 3/8. thanks for any help

--
Paul D

Paul, linkbelts ride a little higher than V belts. Put it on and run
it. Check for tension after an hour or so of run time, may have to
adjust motor mount or remove a link.
mike

Junior Member

sorry. It was late and I just was not typing well. it's a bandsaw. I figured out my mistake though. The belt was put on backward. the side with the ridges was supposed to be facing the pulley and the arrow on the belt was to be in the direction the pulley turns.
1/2 is the right size. All is well now. This may help someone else with the need for the same info.
Junior Member

Mike,

thanks. That's what I did not know. Will keep an eye on it to see if there is any stretching.