Maxprop

"Wood Turn It Dont Burn It" wrote in message

I belive I read here a short time ago that someone had used a link belt
on his Jet 1442.

I've been using one on my Jet 1442 for nearly a year. I believe the lathe
runs smoother and quieter, and the belt is showing no apparent wear after
about 175 hours of use. I'm anticipating in excess of 600 hours on the belt
before replacement. I may be way off on that one direction or the other,
however.

How wide should the belt be and can it be installed
without undoing the various pieces of the Reeves drive to slide the
shaft out as you would to install the original belt.

Short of measuring the width of the belt, suffice it to say that it's very
close to the width of the belt I cut off the drive. The primary reason I
went to the link belt is that I anticipated some grief in replacing a belt
when the time came. With the link belt, you simply assemble it over the
shafts, set the speed control to its highest setting, and maneuver the belt
onto the pullies. Took a bit of trial and error to get the right length,
but it fits fine now.

Also, how tight do
you make it between the 2 pulleys. Thanks in advance.

Seems to be as tight as the old belt was when new.

Max
Mishawaka, IN