Bruce Ferguson

Default hollowing verus scrappers

I may be wrong, but hollowing tools are scrapers. If you look at the bits
that go in the end of the tool to me it looks like a round nose scraper only
really small. You could go to Darrel Feltmate's site and look at the tools
he makes. If you don't want to spend much but get a taste of hollowing
making your own tools might be the way to go.

Bruce
"Keith Young" wrote in message
Currently i don,t have any scrappers or hollowing tools. I have turned
mostly bowls and have two bowl gouges. As i progress ( if you can call it
that ) I would like to know the fundament difference in usage between the
scrapper and hollowing tools.

Question
Which does a better job at cleanly evacuating the inside of a simple
project. For instance i realize that the hollowing tool will reach areas
not accessable to a scrapper.. If i were to purchase one extra tool which
would i get the most use from.
Any suggestions ?

The simple reason for inquiring is that I don,t wish to spend money on a
tool that will be of little practical use to me.I have turned vases for
instance and have been unable to smoothly clean the inside bottom. (
Scrapper or hollowing tool ) Which?
These vases have a mostly straight wall.
Should I invest in both tools ( scrapper and hollowing ) and if so what do
most turners find the best , verus price for doing a descent job.I don,t
yet see the need for spending $200.00 for a developing hobby. As they say
its better to walk before one learns to run.

Sincerely

Keith

res055a5

These vases have a mostly straight wall.
a forstner drill bit set will give you a relatively smooth, straight hole

to the bottom and then
you can scrape out from it with less problems. unfortunately i've never
seen a long forstner bit.
rich

George

"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message
I may be wrong, but hollowing tools are scrapers. If you look at the bits
that go in the end of the tool to me it looks like a round nose scraper

only
really small.

There are tools designed to cut, as well. Ken's Proforme and similar
modified hook tools come to mind.
https://www.safeshop.co.nz/vshop/wood/index.php?page=3

You can also do a lot of stock removal with a pointy gouge, cutting on the
long wings as you sweep out and in toward center. Advantage there is that
the shavings roll down the flute of the gouge and out the opening, rather
than accumulating in the recess.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Keith

Like Bruce says hollowing tools are mostly scrapers, there are also ring
and hook tools to help hollowing bowl and hollow forms.
And yes go to Darrell Feltmate's site, not only does he show you how to
make a hook tool and scraper (oland tool), swan neck hollowing tool and
some more tools, he also has a video you can download and see how he
hollow turns, and the next thing is get some books or videos or best of
all some hands on instructions from someone to show you how to do hollow
turning.

http://www,aroundthewoods.com

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Keith Young wrote:

[...]

Joe Fleming

Keith,

Hollowing tools can cost multiple hundreds of dollars. Before you buy
a hollowing system, I recommend that you determine what kind of hollow
forms you want to make.

If you want to make small things like hollow globes for Christmas
ornaments, you need a small system like the Kelton mini set of 3 or the
Packard mini hollowers set of 3.

For vessels approaching 6 or 7", the Kelton small hollowers or the John
Jordan 1/2" hook work great.

For larger than that, there are a number of systems like the Don Pencil
Scorpion or the Jordan 3/4" hook tools.

All of these are scrapers. There are also cutting tools, but most of
those tend to be most useful for forms more than 3" to 4" in size.
There are a number of hook cutters. There are also guarded cutters
like the Exocet and the Proforme systems. The last two are really only
good for forms larger than 6 to 7".

Once you determine what you want to turn, I STRONGLY recommend that you
borrow prospective tools from friends so that you can really try them.
This makes the $100 to $200+ purchase much more informed.

Which do I have? Almost all of the above and some others too. I do
forms in all of the above sizes and several shapes. I didn't, however,
go out and buy all the tools at once. I purchased each one as the need
developed.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

vernon

You can make your hollowing tools from a 3/4' steel bar crilling a hole in
the end for a tool bit which can be bought from Grissly for a couple of
bucks. They are steel bits ground round on the tip like a scrapper. Put this
bar in a piece of pipe and you have a hollowing tool for little of nothing.
You can even take the other half of your steel bar and drill a hole at a 45
degree angle and use the same bit and you have a boring bar you can use to
hollow under the lip. Look at Jamison's website and he gives you all kind of
good information. You can make two hollowing tools for less than $20.

Vern

[...]

mac davis

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:16:30 -0600, "vernon"
wrote:

You can make your hollowing tools from a 3/4' steel bar crilling a hole in
the end for a tool bit which can be bought from Grissly for a couple of
bucks. They are steel bits ground round on the tip like a scrapper. Put this
bar in a piece of pipe and you have a hollowing tool for little of nothing.
You can even take the other half of your steel bar and drill a hole at a 45
degree angle and use the same bit and you have a boring bar you can use to
hollow under the lip. Look at Jamison's website and he gives you all kind of
good information. You can make two hollowing tools for less than $20.

Vern

Vern... this sounds like something I need info on...
do you have the URL?
I googled "Jamison" and got like 35 pages of links.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Ralph

Sorry should www.lylejamieson.com

Ralph wrote:

Try www.lylejamison.com

wrote:

You can make your hollowing tools from a 3/4' steel bar crilling a
hole in the end for a tool bit which can be bought from Grissly for a
couple of bucks. They are steel bits ground round on the tip like a
scrapper. Put this bar in a piece of pipe and you have a hollowing
tool for little of nothing. You can even take the other half of your
steel bar and drill a hole at a 45 degree angle and use the same bit
and you have a boring bar you can use to hollow under the lip. Look
at Jamison's website and he gives you all kind of good information.
You can make two hollowing tools for less than $20.

Vern

Vern... this sounds like something I need info on... do you have the URL?
I googled "Jamison" and got like 35 pages of links.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

B Moody

I use a bowl gouge to get nearly the inside shape I want, then use a scraper
to smooth the inside because I always leave a few ridges with the bowl
gouge. The scraper, I think, comes from Sorby (I am upstairs and the
workhop is all the way downstairs). It is round and sharpened on the left
edge as well as the tip and that makes it very easy to use on the side of a
bowl. .Only cost me about 20 bucks.

Bob Moody

mac davis

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:10:52 GMT, Ralph wrote:

thanks, Ralph..
interesting/bizare/tech site!

Ralph wrote:

Try www.lylejamison.com