vernon

You can make your hollowing tools from a 3/4' steel bar crilling a hole in
the end for a tool bit which can be bought from Grissly for a couple of
bucks. They are steel bits ground round on the tip like a scrapper. Put this
bar in a piece of pipe and you have a hollowing tool for little of nothing.
You can even take the other half of your steel bar and drill a hole at a 45
degree angle and use the same bit and you have a boring bar you can use to
hollow under the lip. Look at Jamison's website and he gives you all kind of
good information. You can make two hollowing tools for less than $20.

Vern

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Currently i don,t have any scrappers or hollowing tools. I have turned
mostly bowls and have two bowl gouges. As i progress ( if you can call it
that ) I would like to know the fundament difference in usage between the
scrapper and hollowing tools.

Question
Which does a better job at cleanly evacuating the inside of a simple
project. For instance i realize that the hollowing tool will reach areas
not accessable to a scrapper.. If i were to purchase one extra tool which
would i get the most use from.
Any suggestions ?

The simple reason for inquiring is that I don,t wish to spend money on a
tool that will be of little practical use to me.I have turned vases for
instance and have been unable to smoothly clean the inside bottom. (
Scrapper or hollowing tool ) Which?
These vases have a mostly straight wall.
Should I invest in both tools ( scrapper and hollowing ) and if so what do
most turners find the best , verus price for doing a descent job.I don,t
yet see the need for spending $200.00 for a developing hobby. As they say
its better to walk before one learns to run.

Sincerely

Keith