Joe Fleming

Keith,

Hollowing tools can cost multiple hundreds of dollars. Before you buy
a hollowing system, I recommend that you determine what kind of hollow
forms you want to make.

If you want to make small things like hollow globes for Christmas
ornaments, you need a small system like the Kelton mini set of 3 or the
Packard mini hollowers set of 3.

For vessels approaching 6 or 7", the Kelton small hollowers or the John
Jordan 1/2" hook work great.

For larger than that, there are a number of systems like the Don Pencil
Scorpion or the Jordan 3/4" hook tools.

All of these are scrapers. There are also cutting tools, but most of
those tend to be most useful for forms more than 3" to 4" in size.
There are a number of hook cutters. There are also guarded cutters
like the Exocet and the Proforme systems. The last two are really only
good for forms larger than 6 to 7".

Once you determine what you want to turn, I STRONGLY recommend that you
borrow prospective tools from friends so that you can really try them.
This makes the $100 to $200+ purchase much more informed.

Which do I have? Almost all of the above and some others too. I do
forms in all of the above sizes and several shapes. I didn't, however,
go out and buy all the tools at once. I purchased each one as the need
developed.

Joe Fleming - San Diego