Bruce Ferguson

Default hollowing verus scrappers

I may be wrong, but hollowing tools are scrapers. If you look at the bits
that go in the end of the tool to me it looks like a round nose scraper only
really small. You could go to Darrel Feltmate's site and look at the tools
he makes. If you don't want to spend much but get a taste of hollowing
making your own tools might be the way to go.

Bruce
"Keith Young" wrote in message
Currently i don,t have any scrappers or hollowing tools. I have turned
mostly bowls and have two bowl gouges. As i progress ( if you can call it
that ) I would like to know the fundament difference in usage between the
scrapper and hollowing tools.

Question
Which does a better job at cleanly evacuating the inside of a simple
project. For instance i realize that the hollowing tool will reach areas
not accessable to a scrapper.. If i were to purchase one extra tool which
would i get the most use from.
Any suggestions ?

The simple reason for inquiring is that I don,t wish to spend money on a
tool that will be of little practical use to me.I have turned vases for
instance and have been unable to smoothly clean the inside bottom. (
Scrapper or hollowing tool ) Which?
These vases have a mostly straight wall.
Should I invest in both tools ( scrapper and hollowing ) and if so what do
most turners find the best , verus price for doing a descent job.I don,t
yet see the need for spending $200.00 for a developing hobby. As they say
its better to walk before one learns to run.

Sincerely

Keith