mac davis

Default A great problem to have

As some here know, I've returned to the lathe after a long absence...

I've been working on "stocking stuffers" for about 2 weeks, small
boxes, jars, goblets, bowls, etc...

I have somewhere between 20 and 30 done as of this morning, and my
wife hasn't found one yet that she's willing to give away! She wants
to keep them all, they're either too "cute" or too "special" to give
away.. *sigh*

It's sort of a double sided thing... It's very flattering, and an
excuse for spending more and more time turning stuff, but I don't want
this fun thing in the Christmas spirit to become another production
job with a deadline approaching..

OTOH, she just told me that she ordered me a Jet mini from Amazon..
Again, double sided... I'll probably love the Jet and it's really cool
to have a wife that's so into my love of wood... but now my Shopsmith
is ****ed off that I'm getting a lathe.. *sigh*

Some day's you're the windshield AND the bug???

Link

Shopsmith??? perk

As another SS turner I'm wondering...do you sit to turn or are you very
short? At 6'4" I find turning on my inherited SS to be very awkward.
And I don't have the shop space for a stand-alone! sigh

Leo Van Der Loo

Hey Mac

There are a lot of people that wished they where in your shoes, congrats.
I'm lucky too, SHE's getting more picky and not confiscating as much
anymore G.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis wrote:
[...]

Ken Grunke

mac davis wrote:
As some here know, I've returned to the lathe after a long absence...

I've been working on "stocking stuffers" for about 2 weeks, small
boxes, jars, goblets, bowls, etc...

I have somewhere between 20 and 30 done as of this morning, and my
wife hasn't found one yet that she's willing to give away! She wants
to keep them all, they're either too "cute" or too "special" to give
away.. *sigh*

Just tell her you'll replace them all with more of the same AFTER the
holidays.

It's sort of a double sided thing... It's very flattering, and an
excuse for spending more and more time turning stuff, but I don't want
this fun thing in the Christmas spirit to become another production
job with a deadline approaching..

OTOH, she just told me that she ordered me a Jet mini from Amazon..
Again, double sided... I'll probably love the Jet and it's really cool
to have a wife that's so into my love of wood... but now my Shopsmith
is ****ed off that I'm getting a lathe.. *sigh*

You may have to divorce your Shopsmith and find it a new partner.
Or maybe better hang on to it, in case the wife gets the turning bug and
doesn't let you on the lathe she bought!

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/

mac davis

On 20 Dec 2004 14:34:12 -0800, "Link" wrote:

Shopsmith??? perk

As another SS turner I'm wondering...do you sit to turn or are you very
short? At 6'4" I find turning on my inherited SS to be very awkward.
And I don't have the shop space for a stand-alone! sigh

I find that I stand (I'm 6'2") when doing spindles or sides, and sit
on a stool or 2' step ladder when working on faces/hollowing..

mac davis

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:53:43 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hey Mac

There are a lot of people that wished they where in your shoes, congrats.
I'm lucky too, SHE's getting more picky and not confiscating as much
anymore G.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

that's the point that I'm trying to reach, Leo... if I produce a bunch
of stuff, she has to (I hope) let some go, and as I get better, she
may discard some of the cruder attempts..

I'm going through an interesting transition in turning now.... when I
got back into wood after about 15 years off, I was hoping that one of
the few advantages of age was more patience, and it's very true..
I'm doing things now that I didn't have the patience to before, and
NOT doing things that I would before (like settling for almost ok)
because I couldn't wait to get something done..

In my turning, especially after reading and posting for a few months
here, I find that I not only have more patience, but enjoy all the
little steps that are so easy to skip when you're "in a hurry"...
My tools stay sharp longer now because appreciating how sharp my wife
gets them makes me more aware of the "forcing" that I was doing, which
not only dulled the tools faster but actually made the work go slower
once they dulled..
I'm finding that as I'm still in the general shaping phase, I'm
already thinking that the more precise I am, the less I'll end up
sanding off tool marks..
Sorry for the rant, but the realization just sort of hit while I was
responding to your post..

mac davis wrote:
[...]

mac davis

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:50:10 -0600, Ken Grunke
wrote:

mac davis wrote:
[...]

Actually, Ken, I'm looking forward to getting the Shopsmith "back"...
It's been my sort of dedicated drill press and router for quite a
while and I'm missing that while it's being used in this current lathe
phase of my "wooducation".... which was spurred by a combination of
reading Darrel's page on turning green wood and my neighbor cutting
down a walnut tree... lol
It just seems like turning takes over the shop much more than building
a cabinet or a set of drawers..
Leo Van Der Loo

Thanks for the "RANT" Mac

I have the feeling that there are a few more among us that are in the
same "appreciated" position, I for my self do enjoy this more than if
the work done was not liked by my better half.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis wrote:

that's the point that I'm trying to reach, Leo... if I produce a bunch
of stuff, she has to (I hope) let some go, and as I get better, she
may discard some of the cruder attempts..

snip

Sorry for the rant, but the realization just sort of hit while I was
responding to your post..

woodgrinder

mac davis wrote:
[snip...]
Actually, Ken, I'm looking forward to getting the Shopsmith "back"...
It's been my sort of dedicated drill press and router for quite a
while and I'm missing that while it's being used in this current

lathe
phase of my "wooducation".... which was spurred by a combination of
reading Darrel's page on turning green wood and my neighbor cutting
down a walnut tree... lol

No reason for dear old SS to feel slighted! Think of the Jet Mini as
company for your lonely Shopsmith, while you're out of the shop.

It just seems like turning takes over the shop much more than

building
a cabinet or a set of drawers..

Probably seems so. However, I can turn in a MUCH smaller shop than I
build a cabinet in. Like, the 1/2 of one side of a double garage that
I'm in now.

John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

Sympatico News

I have a Shopsmith too and a Jet mini. The Jet is downstairs while the
Shopsmith is in the garage shaped storage unit :-).

I find I use the Jet more for turning since I can get lower RPMs on it and I
don't need the extra swing of the Shopsmith. The Jet is a lot quieter as
well.

The Shopsmith is used for more general type woodworking. In particular its a
great drill press as long as you don't need too much "swing". Its the only
one I've seen with rack and pinion adjustment of the distance from the
fence, it has a fence and the table is "huge".

As far as the height issue, it occurred to me some time ago that the
Shopsmith stand and wheels could be replaced with a wheeled, wooden boxe
with shelves and/or drawers. You could even make it height adjustable if you
wanted.

Now if I got your comments correct

1. Your wife buys you tools; and

2. She also sharpens your tools for you.

Does she have a sister? :-)

TTFN

"mac davis" wrote in message
On 20 Dec 2004 14:34:12 -0800, "Link" wrote:

Shopsmith??? perk

As another SS turner I'm wondering...do you sit to turn or are you very
short? At 6'4" I find turning on my inherited SS to be very awkward.
And I don't have the shop space for a stand-alone! sigh

I find that I stand (I'm 6'2") when doing spindles or sides, and sit
on a stool or 2' step ladder when working on faces/hollowing..

mac davis

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:58:02 -0500, "Sympatico News" wrote:

I have a Shopsmith too and a Jet mini. The Jet is downstairs while the
Shopsmith is in the garage shaped storage unit :-).

I find I use the Jet more for turning since I can get lower RPMs on it and I
don't need the extra swing of the Shopsmith. The Jet is a lot quieter as
well.

The Shopsmith is used for more general type woodworking. In particular its a
great drill press as long as you don't need too much "swing". Its the only
one I've seen with rack and pinion adjustment of the distance from the
fence, it has a fence and the table is "huge".

I'm really glad to get the SS back as my drill press and main router!

I make wheel chocks for rv's and was getting behind on the drilling,
because I didn't want to stop turning long enough to take the lathe
chuck off and put the drill chuck & table on.. lol

As far as the height issue, it occurred to me some time ago that the
Shopsmith stand and wheels could be replaced with a wheeled, wooden boxe
with shelves and/or drawers. You could even make it height adjustable if you
wanted.

the original SS's didn't come with stands of wheels... you just put
them on a bench.. I'll stick to the wheels, personally..

Now if I got your comments correct

1. Your wife buys you tools; and

2. She also sharpens your tools for you.

Does she have a sister? :-)

TTFN

nope, sorry...

Oh.. did I mention that she's a great cook and does most of the
staining and top coating in santa's workshop??
https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/xmas-04.htm

BTW.. great way to heat the shop:
She was making pea soup today in a 22 quart broiler oven.. in the
shop..
created a nice warm corner of the shop and lots of curious neighbors..
*g*

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On 20 Dec 2004 14:34:12 -0800, "Link" wrote:

Shopsmith??? perk

As another SS turner I'm wondering...do you sit to turn or are you very
short? At 6'4" I find turning on my inherited SS to be very awkward.
And I don't have the shop space for a stand-alone! sigh

I find that I stand (I'm 6'2") when doing spindles or sides, and sit
on a stool or 2' step ladder when working on faces/hollowing..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:50:44 -0500, Anonymous
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:24:36 -0500, Leo Van Der Loo wrote:

Thanks for the "RANT" Mac

I have the feeling that there are a few more among us that are in the same
"appreciated" position, I for my self do enjoy this more than if the work
done was not liked by my better half.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

I get a kick out of turning without any input from my wife at all. So,
when she does 'go ga-ga' over a piece, it's a thick layer of
creamy peanut butter frosting over a super moist 'pudding in the mix' cake
with butter pecan ice cream on the side for me.

Even though those truly gorgeous maple burl pens I made yesterday are
going to New York to be with my Mother & Sister in Law, having her admire
the same things I admire means the world to me.

Bill

God makes things beautiful, I make them round and shiny.

good thing that my wife didn't see those pens, Bill.. you'd have to
make new ones for your Mom & S-I-L .... lol