mac davis

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:58:02 -0500, "Sympatico News" wrote:

I have a Shopsmith too and a Jet mini. The Jet is downstairs while the
Shopsmith is in the garage shaped storage unit :-).

I find I use the Jet more for turning since I can get lower RPMs on it and I
don't need the extra swing of the Shopsmith. The Jet is a lot quieter as
well.

The Shopsmith is used for more general type woodworking. In particular its a
great drill press as long as you don't need too much "swing". Its the only
one I've seen with rack and pinion adjustment of the distance from the
fence, it has a fence and the table is "huge".

I'm really glad to get the SS back as my drill press and main router!

I make wheel chocks for rv's and was getting behind on the drilling,
because I didn't want to stop turning long enough to take the lathe
chuck off and put the drill chuck & table on.. lol

As far as the height issue, it occurred to me some time ago that the
Shopsmith stand and wheels could be replaced with a wheeled, wooden boxe
with shelves and/or drawers. You could even make it height adjustable if you
wanted.

the original SS's didn't come with stands of wheels... you just put
them on a bench.. I'll stick to the wheels, personally..

Now if I got your comments correct

1. Your wife buys you tools; and

2. She also sharpens your tools for you.

Does she have a sister? :-)

TTFN

nope, sorry...

Oh.. did I mention that she's a great cook and does most of the
staining and top coating in santa's workshop??
https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/xmas-04.htm

BTW.. great way to heat the shop:
She was making pea soup today in a 22 quart broiler oven.. in the
shop..
created a nice warm corner of the shop and lots of curious neighbors..
*g*

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On 20 Dec 2004 14:34:12 -0800, "Link" wrote:

Shopsmith??? perk

As another SS turner I'm wondering...do you sit to turn or are you very
short? At 6'4" I find turning on my inherited SS to be very awkward.
And I don't have the shop space for a stand-alone! sigh

I find that I stand (I'm 6'2") when doing spindles or sides, and sit
on a stool or 2' step ladder when working on faces/hollowing..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing