mac davis

Default what kind of wood is this?

My stepson (23) is here for the holiday and I introduced him to
turning last night..

He picked a chunk of firewood off the pile, I set it up and got it
about 50" round and not wobbling to bad, and he went for it.. *g*

I have no idea what kind of wood this is, but it's exotic looking...
I've never seen white go through the grain like this before, any idea
what type of wood it might be?

The bark looked like a thin version of pine or fir... it's NOT what
I'd call hardwood, but from the little turning I did on it and a bit
of sanding help, it works harder that pine, but not like oak or
anything like that..

(posted in ABPW)
Alun Saunders

mac davis wrote:

He picked a chunk of firewood off the pile, I set it up and got it
about 50" round and not wobbling to bad, and he went for it.. *g*

50" round firewood? Must be a big fire

I have no idea what kind of wood this is, but it's exotic looking...
I've never seen white go through the grain like this before, any idea
what type of wood it might be?

I can't help you with that, but it certainly looks interesting. Might
look even more interesting with a finish on it.

--
Alun
mac davis

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:34:06 +0000, Alun Saunders
wrote:

mac davis wrote:

He picked a chunk of firewood off the pile, I set it up and got it
about 50" round and not wobbling to bad, and he went for it.. *g*

50" round firewood? Must be a big fire

I have no idea what kind of wood this is, but it's exotic looking...
I've never seen white go through the grain like this before, any idea
what type of wood it might be?

I can't help you with that, but it certainly looks interesting. Might
look even more interesting with a finish on it.

opps.. should have been 50%...
I should know not to try operating a keyboard before the 2nd or 3 cup
of coffee..

He sanded it with 12, 220 and 320.. it's like glass now..

We decided not to stain it and will put a couple of coats of rubbing
poly on it.. should be a really nice 1st turning that he'll keep for a
while..
George

"mac davis" wrote in message
My stepson (23) is here for the holiday and I introduced him to
turning last night..

He picked a chunk of firewood off the pile, I set it up and got it
about 50" round and not wobbling to bad, and he went for it.. *g*

I have no idea what kind of wood this is, but it's exotic looking...
I've never seen white go through the grain like this before, any idea
what type of wood it might be?

The bark looked like a thin version of pine or fir... it's NOT what
I'd call hardwood, but from the little turning I did on it and a bit
of sanding help, it works harder that pine, but not like oak or
anything like that..

The trick is not in getting them interested, it's in getting to use the
lathe again after they're hooked. I used to feel like a "pusher" when I
started turning with the kids at school. The lathe was seldom unused on any
day or class period after that.

It would help with wood ID to know where you are. Doesn't remind me of
anything delivered to my northern Michigan woodpile, though it might be an
exotic. Lots of oddball stuff in the cities.

mac davis

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:23:52 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

snip
The trick is not in getting them interested, it's in getting to use the
lathe again after they're hooked. I used to feel like a "pusher" when I
started turning with the kids at school. The lathe was seldom unused on any
day or class period after that.

It would help with wood ID to know where you are. Doesn't remind me of
anything delivered to my northern Michigan woodpile, though it might be an
exotic. Lots of oddball stuff in the cities.

George.. not a problem I almost wish it was!
Since I put him on the lathe the other night, I have to pry him off of
it when I have time to turn.. lol

I'm in Central California, near Fresno..
I updated my web site this morning, maybe more (and maybe a little
better) pictures would help?

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/dusty.htm

George

Looks like pine to me. Big genus, and with the climate in the valley, you
can grow a lot of exotics.

When I was stationed up north at Beale, there were all kinds of subtropical
flora available at nurseries.
County extension agent my first choice of expert, next, a nurseryman.

"mac davis" wrote in message

It would help with wood ID to know where you are. Doesn't remind me of
anything delivered to my northern Michigan woodpile, though it might be

an
exotic. Lots of oddball stuff in the cities.

I'm in Central California, near Fresno..
I updated my web site this morning, maybe more (and maybe a little
better) pictures would help?

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/dusty.htm

res055a5

"mac davis" wrote in message
My stepson (23) is here for the holiday and I introduced him to
turning last night..

He picked a chunk of firewood off the pile, I set it up and got it
about 50" round and not wobbling to bad, and he went for it.. *g*

I have no idea what kind of wood this is, but it's exotic looking...
I've never seen white go through the grain like this before, any idea
what type of wood it might be?

The bark looked like a thin version of pine or fir... it's NOT what
I'd call hardwood, but from the little turning I did on it and a bit
of sanding help, it works harder that pine, but not like oak or
anything like that..

(posted in ABPW)
the bark looks like a conifer, but the wood sorta resembles myrtlewood to

me.
i don't know what myrtlewood bark looks like though.
good luck,
rich

paul

I gotta go along with George... looks like pine. Most likely an exotic
(non-native), unless it came from up in the hills/mtns - none of the
natives grow down in the valley as far as I am aware. It's going to be
tough identifying the exact species with just the wood (no
needles/cones/etc).

Paul

Denis Marier

This type of bark and rings is in the family of soft wood.
Correct if I am wrong.
The closest we have in Eastern Canada is a softwood tree named cypress at
time its called Tamarack or Hackamatack. Once a year they shed their needles
that look like those of white Pine. It was used to build wooden ships and
masts.
In California it could be called another name?

"mac davis" wrote in message

It would help with wood ID to know where you are. Doesn't remind me of
anything delivered to my northern Michigan woodpile, though it might be

an
exotic. Lots of oddball stuff in the cities.

I'm in Central California, near Fresno..
I updated my web site this morning, maybe more (and maybe a little
better) pictures would help?

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/dusty.htm

George

There is a Western Larch, Larix occidentalis, cousin to our L laricina, but
I think the wood is yellow/red like ours. Seems to be interchangeable with
Douglas fir, out there, so that would be the same color.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
This type of bark and rings is in the family of soft wood.
Correct if I am wrong.
The closest we have in Eastern Canada is a softwood tree named cypress at
time its called Tamarack or Hackamatack. Once a year they shed their

needles
that look like those of white Pine. It was used to build wooden ships and
masts.
In California it could be called another name?

mac davis

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:25:04 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:
we do have a lot of different types of pine and fir in the area, and
sequoia, of course.. lol

Looks like pine to me. Big genus, and with the climate in the valley, you
can grow a lot of exotics.

When I was stationed up north at Beale, there were all kinds of subtropical
flora available at nurseries.
County extension agent my first choice of expert, next, a nurseryman.

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

It would help with wood ID to know where you are. Doesn't remind me of
anything delivered to my northern Michigan woodpile, though it might be

an
exotic. Lots of oddball stuff in the cities.

I'm in Central California, near Fresno..
I updated my web site this morning, maybe more (and maybe a little
better) pictures would help?

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/dusty.htm

Peter Hyde

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

My stepson (23) is here for the holiday and I introduced him to
turning last night..

He picked a chunk of firewood off the pile, I set it up and got it
about 50" round and not wobbling to bad, and he went for it.. *g*

I have no idea what kind of wood this is, but it's exotic looking...
I've never seen white go through the grain like this before, any idea
what type of wood it might be?

The bark looked like a thin version of pine or fir... it's NOT what
I'd call hardwood, but from the little turning I did on it and a bit
of sanding help, it works harder that pine, but not like oak or
anything like that..

(posted in ABPW)

Almost 100% certain it's Jack Pine (Pinus Banksiana). Bark matches
almost perfectly and from the book " provides mine timbers, railway
ties, poles, pilings and lumber. Wood is heavy and close grained" Other
candidate would be Pitch Pine (Pinus Rigida) which is very similar.
mac davis

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:01:29 -0500, Peter Hyde
wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

[...]

Peter.. do either of them have that white, milky looking pattern in
the grain?

I turned a mini-goblet and coaster out of it today and it's very
pretty wood..
mac davis

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:57:56 -0500, "Mike Harvey"
wrote:

As already stated, it could be some sort of exotic... I lived in the SF Bay
area, found a lot of exotics brought in with immigrants... growing around
the cities... CA has a temperate climate so things will grow there that will
not grow in some other areas of the country... (Like my present home in SW
Indiana)... Fresno??? I thought only grapes and ummm well never mind...
there is a good preacher friend there named Vaugn Morton

the wood sure is pretty though... you ought to go back through that pile and
see if there is more... be a shame to burn it... ) Some of our members
would cringe if they saw some of the stuff I been putting in my wood stove
the past few days...

Big Mike

Mike.. we went through the pile IMMEDIATELY!

found 3 more usable pieces.. great grain for boxes and small bowls..
(that incense burner in the orig pic is about 16" tall)