George

There is a Western Larch, Larix occidentalis, cousin to our L laricina, but
I think the wood is yellow/red like ours. Seems to be interchangeable with
Douglas fir, out there, so that would be the same color.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
This type of bark and rings is in the family of soft wood.
Correct if I am wrong.
The closest we have in Eastern Canada is a softwood tree named cypress at
time its called Tamarack or Hackamatack. Once a year they shed their

needles
that look like those of white Pine. It was used to build wooden ships and
masts.
In California it could be called another name?