Wood Turn It Dont Burn It

Default Jet 1442 opinions

I am considering buying a Jet 1442 and would appreciate opinions on this
lathe. I primarily turn bowls and want a lathe with outboard turning
capabilities. I know the headstock rotates in various positions, but
this this lathe come with an outboard banjo so larger bowls can be
turned. I appreciate your comments in advance.

STEMO

RonB

I have been woodworking for quite a few years but just started turning when
I bought my 1442 about a year ago. I still consider myself a rank amateur
but the machine is a good teacher. While I haven't done any bowl turning
yet the machine seems to have plenty of power, low vibration and is massive
(I bought the cast-iron legs).

The only "sticky" point I have had is the lever on the speed control sticks
from time-to-time. Only seems to do in the minutes after startup and it has
subsided with time (or I have learned a touch). I spoke to a Jet rep, at a
sale, a couple of weeks ago and he said they had this fixed. I also noticed
that the price has gone up about $115 since I bought mine - supposedly price
of iron.

Overall, very pleased with quality, fit and function.

RonB

Rick

I puchused my 1442 last winter and while it is a nice heavy lathe and
the best in its price range. Mine didn't hold up well to turning large
out of balance blanks. Between centers its fine but since last mounth
I am getting about a tennth of an inch movment where the head piviots
on the bed. Jet is sending me a new head stock but thats ben three
weeks so I have not turned for about six. I am now shoping for a
larger lathe with a fixed head stock . goog luck.That speed control
lever gets in my way when cutting from the head to the tail stock.
"RonB" wrote in message news:L24ld.57173
$EZ.7923@okepread07...
I have been woodworking for quite a few years but just started turning when
I bought my 1442 about a year ago. I still consider myself a rank amateur
but the machine is a good teacher. While I haven't done any bowl turning
yet the machine seems to have plenty of power, low vibration and is massive
(I bought the cast-iron legs).

The only "sticky" point I have had is the lever on the speed control sticks
from time-to-time. Only seems to do in the minutes after startup and it has
subsided with time (or I have learned a touch). I spoke to a Jet rep, at a
sale, a couple of weeks ago and he said they had this fixed. I also noticed
that the price has gone up about $115 since I bought mine - supposedly price
of iron.

Overall, very pleased with quality, fit and function.

RonB

Maxprop

"RonB" wrote in message

The only "sticky" point I have had is the lever on the speed control

sticks
from time-to-time. Only seems to do in the minutes after startup and it

has
subsided with time (or I have learned a touch). I spoke to a Jet rep, at

sale, a couple of weeks ago and he said they had this fixed.

My original speed control did the same. Ultimately I bent the indexing pin,
and had to replace the entire unit. I believe the cost was minor--less than
$20--and the new one works perfectly. Might be a good investment if yours
continues to stick.

Max

s.bernstein

Bought a 1442 last August and I've been turning like a fiend ever since, a
good mix of faceplate and between-centers work. I'm very happy with it. I
was worried that the 450rpm wouldn't be low enough for some bowl blanks, but
so far it's been fine.

There's no true outboard banjo (like a with a Nova or a Oneway), but mine
did come with a cast iron extension that lets you set the tool rest another
eight inches or so outboard from the max. the banjo allows without it. It
works, but it flexes some.

I agree with the other post about the speed control handle location--it is
in the way for some bowl cuts. I can see that the motor could be in the
way, believe it or not, with some of my after-market faceplates that don't
extend as far from the headstock as the (somewhat useless) faceplate it
comes with. A spacer or two makes the difference, still leaving plenty of
spindle length to support the work IMHO.

I am considering buying a Jet 1442 and would appreciate opinions on this
lathe. I primarily turn bowls and want a lathe with outboard turning
capabilities. I know the headstock rotates in various positions, but
this this lathe come with an outboard banjo so larger bowls can be
turned. I appreciate your comments in advance.

Maxprop

"s.bernstein" wrote in message

Bought a 1442 last August and I've been turning like a fiend ever since, a
good mix of faceplate and between-centers work. I'm very happy with it.

was worried that the 450rpm wouldn't be low enough for some bowl blanks,

but
so far it's been fine.

That's pretty much been my take on the 1442. Oddly enough, this is the best
lathe I've ever used for any period of time. I began turning in high
school--back in the dark ages--and later did some turning on another
school-owned lathe. The 1442 is clearly superior to either of those lathes.
Obviously it would be nice to own a more expensive, more capable machine,
but I'm very pleased with my Jet for the time being.

I can see that the motor could be in the
way, believe it or not, with some of my after-market faceplates that don't
extend as far from the headstock as the (somewhat useless) faceplate it
comes with.

Having tried a number of other options with limited success, I finally
attached a piece of MDF to that 6" faceplate that came with the lathe and
use it for honing tools. I've got a PS 150 grit SC disc on the MDF and it
works fine for tuning up a tool that's just beginning to dull.

Max

Lem Bledsoe

I also own a Jet 1442 lathe and agree that it is a very good lathe and has
done everything I have asked of it. I agree that the slow speed could be a
little slower and the speed control gets in the way on some cuts, but
overall I am very well pleased. I use it every day and the quality of my
work improves weekly. IMHO

My first lathe was a $129 Harbor Freight which I bought just to see if I had
any ability for woodturning. As it turned out the HF was a good buy for the
purpose I had intended. Sold it to another beginner for $75.

My second lathe was a Delta 1440, not such a good buy.

In my opinion the Jet 1442 is the best buy in it's price range and am
looking forward to many years of enjoyable turning.

Lem Bledsoe