Rick

I puchused my 1442 last winter and while it is a nice heavy lathe and
the best in its price range. Mine didn't hold up well to turning large
out of balance blanks. Between centers its fine but since last mounth
I am getting about a tennth of an inch movment where the head piviots
on the bed. Jet is sending me a new head stock but thats ben three
weeks so I have not turned for about six. I am now shoping for a
larger lathe with a fixed head stock . goog luck.That speed control
lever gets in my way when cutting from the head to the tail stock.
"RonB" wrote in message news:L24ld.57173
$EZ.7923@okepread07...
I have been woodworking for quite a few years but just started turning when
I bought my 1442 about a year ago. I still consider myself a rank amateur
but the machine is a good teacher. While I haven't done any bowl turning
yet the machine seems to have plenty of power, low vibration and is massive
(I bought the cast-iron legs).

The only "sticky" point I have had is the lever on the speed control sticks
from time-to-time. Only seems to do in the minutes after startup and it has
subsided with time (or I have learned a touch). I spoke to a Jet rep, at a
sale, a couple of weeks ago and he said they had this fixed. I also noticed
that the price has gone up about $115 since I bought mine - supposedly price
of iron.

Overall, very pleased with quality, fit and function.

RonB