s.bernstein

Bought a 1442 last August and I've been turning like a fiend ever since, a
good mix of faceplate and between-centers work. I'm very happy with it. I
was worried that the 450rpm wouldn't be low enough for some bowl blanks, but
so far it's been fine.

There's no true outboard banjo (like a with a Nova or a Oneway), but mine
did come with a cast iron extension that lets you set the tool rest another
eight inches or so outboard from the max. the banjo allows without it. It
works, but it flexes some.

I agree with the other post about the speed control handle location--it is
in the way for some bowl cuts. I can see that the motor could be in the
way, believe it or not, with some of my after-market faceplates that don't
extend as far from the headstock as the (somewhat useless) faceplate it
comes with. A spacer or two makes the difference, still leaving plenty of
spindle length to support the work IMHO.

I am considering buying a Jet 1442 and would appreciate opinions on this
lathe. I primarily turn bowls and want a lathe with outboard turning
capabilities. I know the headstock rotates in various positions, but
this this lathe come with an outboard banjo so larger bowls can be
turned. I appreciate your comments in advance.