Maxprop

"s.bernstein" wrote in message

Bought a 1442 last August and I've been turning like a fiend ever since, a
good mix of faceplate and between-centers work. I'm very happy with it.

was worried that the 450rpm wouldn't be low enough for some bowl blanks,

but
so far it's been fine.

That's pretty much been my take on the 1442. Oddly enough, this is the best
lathe I've ever used for any period of time. I began turning in high
school--back in the dark ages--and later did some turning on another
school-owned lathe. The 1442 is clearly superior to either of those lathes.
Obviously it would be nice to own a more expensive, more capable machine,
but I'm very pleased with my Jet for the time being.

I can see that the motor could be in the
way, believe it or not, with some of my after-market faceplates that don't
extend as far from the headstock as the (somewhat useless) faceplate it
comes with.

Having tried a number of other options with limited success, I finally
attached a piece of MDF to that 6" faceplate that came with the lathe and
use it for honing tools. I've got a PS 150 grit SC disc on the MDF and it
works fine for tuning up a tool that's just beginning to dull.

Max