Barry N. Turner

Default Oneway Mastercut Gouges

Does anyone here use Oneway's Mastercut gouges? Are they worth the price
(for instance, $99.95 for a double-ended 5/8", unhandled, at Woodcraft)? I
would appreciate an assessment from someone who actually uses them.

Barry

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Barry, Barry it depends

I would say it would be a good buy for a professional turner, I'm not,
but I bought one and use it, it is a very fine tool, keeps its edge a
bit longer and so if you count your time and life of the steel + you
don't pay for a handle it all ads up to make it worthwhile.
By the way mine is a 2308, and one ended, they are metric ,mine is 16 mm
that is 12 thou more than 5/8" and if you have a metal handle for a 5/8"
tool you are probably out of luck using that one.

hope this is some help to you

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Barry N. Turner wrote:
Does anyone here use Oneway's Mastercut gouges? Are they worth the price
(for instance, $99.95 for a double-ended 5/8", unhandled, at Woodcraft)? I
would appreciate an assessment from someone who actually uses them.

Barry

Bill Rubenstein

I use both a 5/8 and 1/2 mastercut. They have two ends so last twice as long at less than
double the price of the one-ended ones. The steel is excellent and I also use the Oneway
handles. You can get away with less expensive tools, though.

Bill

In article , says...
Does anyone here use Oneway's Mastercut gouges? Are they worth the price
(for instance, $99.95 for a double-ended 5/8", unhandled, at Woodcraft)? I
would appreciate an assessment from someone who actually uses them.

Barry

Barry N. Turner

I hope so. At present, I only have one Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge with a side
grind. I have been considering a larger bowl gouge. (As you know, I have a
larger lathe on the way.) I already have a Oneway handle. I have heard
good things about the Oneway Mastercut gouges. If I got a double-end gouge,
I could have a standard grind on one end and a side-grind on the other.
Sort of a twofer. That makes the high price look a lot better. I like the
idea of buying fewer tools, but better quality tools.

Barry

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. net...
I use both a 5/8 and 1/2 mastercut. They have two ends so last twice as

long at less than
double the price of the one-ended ones. The steel is excellent and I also

use the Oneway
handles. You can get away with less expensive tools, though.

Bill

In article ,

says...
Does anyone here use Oneway's Mastercut gouges? Are they worth the

price
(for instance, $99.95 for a double-ended 5/8", unhandled, at Woodcraft)?

would appreciate an assessment from someone who actually uses them.

Barry

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Barry N. Turner" wrote:

At present, I only have one Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge with a side
grind. I have been considering a larger bowl gouge.

As an aside, the latest Woodcraft sales flier indicated that all of
Sorby's standard size turning tools are 33% off reg. prices.
George Saridakis

Hi Barry,

I have found these gouges to be the ones which I use exclusively. I turn
professionally, and use the 3/8" and 1/2" gouges for the scale of work I
currently offer (under 12" in diameter). I also use the Mastercut handles.

One of these days I will have a tailgate auction to get rid of the assorted
Sorby gouges I have collected over the years as I have found the Mastercut
ones to be what I need and work well with.

George

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
news
Does anyone here use Oneway's Mastercut gouges? Are they worth the price
(for instance, $99.95 for a double-ended 5/8", unhandled, at Woodcraft)?
would appreciate an assessment from someone who actually uses them.

Barry

Darrell Feltmate

The Mastercut is a good gouge but I still prefer the inserted tip tools or
Oland Tools as I refer to them. My bowl gouges just seem to gather dust
these days. Even a 1/4" Oland with its 5/8" shaft allows a good reach over
the tool rest, lots of control, and a fine cut. For a cost under $10.00 to
make it is hard to beat.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

vmtw

Owen Lowe wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Barry N. Turner" wrote:

At present, I only have one Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge with a side
grind. I have been considering a larger bowl gouge.

As an aside, the latest Woodcraft sales flier indicated that all of
Sorby's standard size turning tools are 33% off reg. prices.

I thought it was 30% off. Sale starts tomorow and only covers 30 "select" tools
I have been thinking of checking them out.
Scott
Ray Sandusky

Barry

I would spend a few extra dollars and get a Glaser Gouge - it is a much
stronger alloy and it retains an edge better than the HSS tools.
Now come on - you are getting a Stubby - so also get the best bowl gouge!

Ray

Barry N. Turner

You may well be right! And I do remember that I have a Stubby
coming.......all the more reason to be careful with other purchases (not
that I will, of course). Spending more money I have found, unfortunately,
does not always assure getting a higher quality product. Glaser gouges may
not be all that much more expensive than Oneway gouges and the separately
purchased handles. I haven't checked the prices, yet. Thanks.

Barry

"Ray Sandusky" wrote in message
Barry

I would spend a few extra dollars and get a Glaser Gouge - it is a much
stronger alloy and it retains an edge better than the HSS tools.
Now come on - you are getting a Stubby - so also get the best bowl gouge!

Ray

George Saridakis

Hi Barry,
I would try and test handling both the Glaser and Mastercut handles as how
they feel is very much a personal preference. I went for the Mastercut but
others prefer the Glaser.