randy Rhine

Default Oneway remote switch problems

Hi,

Anybody ever have any problems with the (add-on) remote switch for the
Oneway lathe? Mine is starting to fail. Was wondering if they've been
able to get replacement switches at a local electronic place.

And...yeah...before anybody suggestes it, I'm putting a call into Oneway
in the morning. But hoping I can find the switches locally...both for
speed and because Oneway seems to add a healthy mark-up.

thanks,

randy

Nobody

Yeah...did that a couple of times...but it's failing nore & more often.
I'm thinking that maybe the contacts in the switch(s) are getting worn.
I do a lot of boxes & things that require fitting...so...it gets used
quite a bit...lotta start/stop.

In any case, shoulda contacted Oneway first. They're shipping new
switches at no cost. Great lathes...class company.

Thanks,

randy

william_b_noble wrote:
it may be dust - try compressed air and clean them out
"randy Rhine" wrote in message

Hi,

Anybody ever have any problems with the (add-on) remote switch for the
Oneway lathe? Mine is starting to fail. Was wondering if they've been
able to get replacement switches at a local electronic place.

And...yeah...before anybody suggestes it, I'm putting a call into Oneway
in the morning. But hoping I can find the switches locally...both for
speed and because Oneway seems to add a healthy mark-up.

thanks,

randy

Maxprop

"Nobody" wrote in message

Yeah...did that a couple of times...but it's failing nore & more often.
I'm thinking that maybe the contacts in the switch(s) are getting worn.
I do a lot of boxes & things that require fitting...so...it gets used
quite a bit...lotta start/stop.

In any case, shoulda contacted Oneway first. They're shipping new
switches at no cost. Great lathes...class company.

Problem solved, obviously. But you might try shooting some WD-40 onto the
contacts of the other switch. Works nicely with most types of contacts,
including those carrying RF energy.

Max

W2ZR

you might try shooting some WD-40 onto the contacts of the other switch.
Works nicely with most types of contacts,
including those carrying RF energy.

BAD IDEA! WD-40 is flammable. Try
DE-OXIT for cleaning electrical contacts. That's what it's made for.

Leo Lichtman

"W2ZR" wrote: BAD IDEA! WD-40 is flammable. Try DE-OXIT for cleaning
electrical contacts. That's what it's made for.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not THAT bad! I don't think Maxprop meant to operate the switch under load
while spraying. Afew seconds after spraying, 99% of the volatiles are gone,
(based on virtual tests conducted in my imagination G). Most of us have
WD-40 within easy reach--How many have De-oxit?

James Barley

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"W2ZR" wrote: BAD IDEA! WD-40 is flammable. Try DE-OXIT for cleaning
electrical contacts. That's what it's made for.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not THAT bad! I don't think Maxprop meant to operate the switch under load
while spraying. Afew seconds after spraying, 99% of the volatiles are gone,
(based on virtual tests conducted in my imagination G). Most of us have
WD-40 within easy reach--How many have De-oxit?

As a side note,
I'd be concerned about the possibility of the "protective" film left by
WD40 attracting and holding dust.
--
Best regards,
James Barley
Maxprop

"W2ZR" wrote in message

BAD IDEA! WD-40 is flammable. Try
DE-OXIT for cleaning electrical contacts. That's what it's made for.

It appears to be flammable only when atomized. I've attempted to ignite a
small reservoir of the stuff, without success.

Max

W2ZR

I've attempted to ignite a small reservoir of the stuff, without success.

Yeah but does the residue it leaves conduct electricity well?

Maxprop

"W2ZR" wrote in message

I've attempted to ignite a small reservoir of the stuff, without

success.

Yeah but does the residue it leaves conduct electricity well?

That was my question when someone recommended it to me years ago. It does,
apparently, or at the very least does nothing to impede the flow of
electrons. In fact it's recommended for use in electrical and RF
connections by those who manufacture them. I've used it for a great many
such applications, including 2M mobile antenna connections (base to whip)
and all SO-239s, BNCs and N-type connectors.

Max

W2ZR

In fact it's recommended for use in electrical and RF connections by those who
manufacture them.

I've used it for... 2M

I'm surprised to hear it. I'm obviously a ham too W2ZR. All the radio
newsgroups frown on it. WD-40 CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTIALLATES is right on the
side of the can. Do you really want to run the chance of having a tiny spark
and/or heat on your petroleum distiallates?

W2ZR

DISTIALLATES

Sorry for typing that wrong twice! it should be DISTILLATES obviously.
George

Would you happen to know the vapor pressure and the flash point of the
distillates?

Road tar is a petroleum distillate, so is gasoline.

"W2ZR" wrote in message
In fact it's recommended for use in electrical and RF connections by

those who
manufacture them.

I've used it for... 2M

I'm surprised to hear it. I'm obviously a ham too W2ZR. All the radio
newsgroups frown on it. WD-40 CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTIALLATES is right on

the
side of the can. Do you really want to run the chance of having a tiny

spark
and/or heat on your petroleum distiallates?

Maxprop

"W2ZR" wrote in message

In fact it's recommended for use in electrical and RF connections by

those who
manufacture them.

I've used it for... 2M

I'm surprised to hear it. I'm obviously a ham too W2ZR. All the radio
newsgroups frown on it. WD-40 CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTIALLATES is right on

the
side of the can. Do you really want to run the chance of having a tiny

spark
and/or heat on your petroleum distiallates?

A can of WD-40 makes a wonderful blow torch to impress the neighborhood
kids, thanks to volatile, flammable substances contained therein. But as an
ultrathin flim it's as likely to ignite as is crude oil. Kerosene is also a
petroleum distillate, and I can immerse a lit match in it without igniting
it. The WD in WD-40 implies 'water displacement.' Water is the enemy of
any electrical or RF contact. It inhibits the conduction of electrons
unless loaded with electrolytic ions, and causes corrosion. Since using
WD-40 in my transmission line and antenna connectors, I've blown no more
finals due to high SWR. Miracle stuff, really.

Max

Kevin & Theresa Miller

Maxprop wrote:
Since using
WD-40 in my transmission line and antenna connectors, I've blown no more
finals due to high SWR. Miracle stuff, really.

And it smells just like Cream Soda - can't ask for more than that! g

....Kevin
--
Kevin & Theresa Miller
Juneau, Alaska