Michael Brewer

Default Wireless slave light switch

I've had a quick search through the uk.d-i-y archives and the net in
general but couldn't find exactly what I want.

I would like to be able to put in an extra wall light switch to
control an existing ceiling light from a different location to the
already-existing conventional wall switch (get that?). I don't want
to have to re-wire, so what I want is to replace the existing switch
with an electronic one that is switchable at the switch (e.g. by
touch) and also switchable by receiving a wireless signal from another
switch placed elsewhere. That other switch would be a stick-on type
that just acts as a "dummy" switch to control the other switch which
in turn controls the ceiling light.

I've seen remote wireless "stick-on" switches that control a plug-in
appliance by way of a 13A plug-in unit into which the appliance plugs,
but not ones that control other wall switches like I want.

Are they out there, and if so, where ?!

Many thanks.
Mike
Martin

"Michael Brewer" wrote in message
om...
[...]

B&Q sell infrared light switches, might not be exactly what your looking for
but worth a look. It replaces your existing light switch and it has a touch
sensitivity button with an infrared sensor in the centre. The remote looks
like a small TV remote with several buttons for controlling several lights.

If you could be persuaded to re-wire then get an Intermediate switch, then
you can have as many switches controlling one light as you like.

Martin.

Christian McArdle

already-existing conventional wall switch (get that?). I don't want
to have to re-wire, so what I want is to replace the existing switch
with an electronic one that is switchable at the switch

Better still would be a small unit that could sit behind a standard switch
faceplate and do the same thing. That way, you can ensure that the
faceplates match in style with the other wiring accessories.

Christian.

Steve

Christian McArdle wrote:

Better still would be a small unit that could sit behind a standard switch
faceplate and do the same thing. That way, you can ensure that the
faceplates match in style with the other wiring accessories.

There are X10 "micro modules" that do just that, but they are very
pricey still.

Steve
ARWadsworth

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

Would http://www.abielectronics.co.uk/
look at the wireaway help?

--
Adam

Michael Brewer

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Would http://www.abielectronics.co.uk/
look at the wireaway help?

Perfect! Just what I was after --- Thanks!

Mike

Chris J Dixon

ARWadsworth wrote:

Would http://www.abielectronics.co.uk/
look at the wireaway help?

That looks really interesting, and I was on the point of thinking
my problems were all solved, until I read the instruction
leaflet, which points out that you can't feed fans in parallel
with the lights. I should have realised this, especially if I
want to have dimming.

Perhaps the fan will have to have a separate manual switch. Any
takers for optical fan control triggered by the light level?
Suppose that would run it on a sunny day :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.