Adam

Default Cooker switch light flickering

I've just noticed that the little red light on the cooker wall switch is
flickering. I'm sure it didn't used to do this. The switch itself is only
about 2 year old (although prior to today, I don't think it's ever been
switched off!).

Is is a sign of something bad, or is it simply (as I hope), that the light
in the switch itself has had enough? Should I just change the switch (maybe
for one without a light if it's going to be on 24/7?).

TIA,
A.

Christian McArdle

I've just noticed that the little red light on the cooker wall switch
is flickering. I'm sure it didn't used to do this.

Yeah. Neons often pack in, especially on cheaper switches. Ones without
lights do indeed have fewer problems in that regard.

Christian.

Adam

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I've just noticed that the little red light on the cooker wall switch
is flickering. I'm sure it didn't used to do this.

Yeah. Neons often pack in, especially on cheaper switches. Ones without
lights do indeed have fewer problems in that regard.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that would be the answer... I'll
replace it with one without a light!

Adam.

The Natural Philosopher

Adam wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...

I've just noticed that the little red light on the cooker wall switch
is flickering. I'm sure it didn't used to do this.

Yeah. Neons often pack in, especially on cheaper switches. Ones without
lights do indeed have fewer problems in that regard.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that would be the answer... I'll
replace it with one without a light!

Just open it up and get a new neon from somewhere. They have a series
resitor, thats all. Neon will set you back pence only.

Adam.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Huge wrote:
We have an assortment of neon based night lights, which I've replaced
the neons over the years. RS sell them. They are, as he says, only a few
pence each. Don't forget the series resistor!

My local wholesaler used to stock MK replacement neons complete with
resistor all in the same yellow sleeving. Dunno if they still do, but it
would be worth a phone call.

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
BigWallop

"Adam" wrote in message
I've just noticed that the little red light on the cooker wall switch is
flickering. I'm sure it didn't used to do this. The switch itself is

only
about 2 year old (although prior to today, I don't think it's ever been
switched off!).

Is is a sign of something bad, or is it simply (as I hope), that the light
in the switch itself has had enough? Should I just change the switch

(maybe
for one without a light if it's going to be on 24/7?).

TIA,
A.

If you say you don't think it's ever been off, then it'll just be tired
little neon lamp. The neon lamp on a 240 Vac switch is just an arc of
electricity between two electrodes which makes the neon gas glow. If it's
been on all this time, 2 years, it will flicker more because the arc is
running up and down the length of the electrodes and not crossing at the
shortest path. It is the same principle of flicker flame candle effect
bulbs.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Dave Plowman

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:
If you say you don't think it's ever been off, then it'll just be tired
little neon lamp. The neon lamp on a 240 Vac switch is just an arc of
electricity between two electrodes which makes the neon gas glow. If
it's been on all this time, 2 years, it will flicker more

I'd guess my cooker one is about 20 years old and never switched off.
Doesn't flicker, though.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Pinched......... wanderer UK diy 8 September 12th 03 12:56 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 11:28 PM
Dodgy on/off switch on Whirlpool Washing Machine Charlie UK diy 2 July 10th 03 12:23 AM
anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit nick UK diy 14 July 7th 03 03:01 PM