Chris Spyrou

Default Light Switch Advise

The light set-up:
- 240W Spot Lights in the Kitchen.
- 2 x 20W Under Cabinet Lights (4 of these)
- 1 x 60W Hallogen Light in one hallway and 1 x 60W
Hallogen Light in the other hallway operated together
off the same connection.
- 1 x 150W Outside Garden Light - no sensor

I would like to have 2 double dimmers like these ones.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KND22BC.html

The [1st] left dimmer to operate the kitchen light and the
right dimmer to operate the under cabinet lights.
The [2nd] left dimmer to operate the 2 hallway lights and
the right dimmer to operate the garden light. Also to
retain the 1G2W switch that turns on/off the hallway lights.

Is this possible?

I don't think the 4 Gang Dimmer Switch will be OK for this.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KND25BC.html

I've read this and it seems that it should be OK.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...immerGuide.htm

Any help will be appreciated.

Richard

"Chris Spyrou" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If you wish to dim halogen lamps you must have electronic type transformers
and the correct type of dimmer switch.

Chris Spyrou

Richard wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but according to the technical data above it seems
OK, unless I'm reading it wrong.

John Rumm

Chris Spyrou wrote:
The light set-up:

- 2 x 20W Under Cabinet Lights (4 of these)

Are these under cabinet lights using fluorescent or filament bulbs?

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Spyrou

John Rumm wrote:
Chris Spyrou wrote:
The light set-up:

- 2 x 20W Under Cabinet Lights (4 of these)

Are these under cabinet lights using fluorescent or filament bulbs?

It's these. I also purchased 3 linking leads.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QLHC2C.html

--
Chris Spyrou
numero communications limited

Christian McArdle

- 240W Spot Lights in the Kitchen.
- 2 x 20W Under Cabinet Lights (4 of these)

Wow! 400W of lighting in your kitchen. Hope you don't live on a low lying
island. Apart from the global warming caused, this will cost about 30-60
pounds a year to run, before the cost of bulbs is considered, (they will be
likely to pop on a regular basis).

Christian.

John Rumm

Chris Spyrou wrote:

Are these under cabinet lights using fluorescent or filament bulbs?

It's these. I also purchased 3 linking leads.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QLHC2C.html

That's OK then - I was worried you wanted to try to dim a fluorescent
for a moment ;-)

The fact that they have electronic transformers should make them dimmable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Spyrou

Christian McArdle wrote:
- 240W Spot Lights in the Kitchen.
- 2 x 20W Under Cabinet Lights (4 of these)

Wow! 400W of lighting in your kitchen. Hope you don't live on a low
lying island. Apart from the global warming caused, this will cost
about 30-60 pounds a year to run, before the cost of bulbs is
considered, (they will be likely to pop on a regular basis).

Ooops, I thought it was 80W total for the Cabinet Lights, not
160W!

The plan was to use dimmers to control the light. Also unlikely
that both sets would be on at the same time. Problem is that
someone mentioned that dimmers may not work, so sort of
stuck now.

So if dimmers are out of the questions might just use 3 switch
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KN4BCW.html and move
the garden light switch eleswhere or just go for a 4 switch
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KN41BCW.html

--
Chris Spyrou
numero communications limited

Chris Spyrou

John Rumm wrote:
Chris Spyrou wrote:
It's these. I also purchased 3 linking leads.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QLHC2C.html

That's OK then - I was worried you wanted to try to dim a fluorescent
for a moment ;-)

The fact that they have electronic transformers should make them
dimmable.

Yeah, but bit worried now as the total 160W and the spots are
240W. The dimmers I was going to get were these so may
not be suitable now.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KND22BC.html

--
Chris Spyrou
numero communications limited

BigWallop

"Chris Spyrou" wrote in message
. ..
John Rumm wrote:
Chris Spyrou wrote:
The light set-up:

- 2 x 20W Under Cabinet Lights (4 of these)

Are these under cabinet lights using fluorescent or filament bulbs?

It's these. I also purchased 3 linking leads.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QLHC2C.html

Chris Spyrou

You might find that these little halogen bulbs don't last very long because
they're enclosed in small spaces in these fittings. The longest we had one
last was three months. It might have been because we used the room as a
tele' room, and had the lights on in the background for hours at a time, but
I know they don't last as long as the open ones we have now.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Christian McArdle

The plan was to use dimmers to control the light. Also unlikely
that both sets would be on at the same time. Problem is that
someone mentioned that dimmers may not work, so sort of
stuck now.

I don't know how many spot lights you have. It can be a good idea to run as
two circuits with alternate bulbs. This enables a very simple dimming where
you only turn on one bank.

Christian.

Wiring a 3 way light switch. Mike Hibbert UK diy 8 October 3rd 03 07:51 PM
Waterproof light switch? Peter UK diy 11 September 28th 03 12:15 AM
Door-operated mains light switch BigWallop UK diy 5 September 15th 03 03:43 PM
Power an LED from a light switch? Pete UK diy 16 July 24th 03 11:23 PM
Cooker switch light flickering Adam UK diy 7 July 11th 03 08:55 PM