BigWallop

Default Door-operated mains light switch

"PHG" wrote in message
I've got a cupboard under the stairs which my kids use for their

coats/bags
etc. It's already fitted with a bulb and
conventional manual light switch. Because they're always forgetting to

turn
the light off, I was hoping to replace the switch
with one that's enabled (presumably a spring mechanism) when the door is
open, and turned off when the door is closed.
Are these available for mains circuits ? I only recall seeing them for 9

or
12V circuits in wardrobes etc.
Thanks Paul

Or these: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FM140WB.html from TLC

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Simon Avery

"PHG" wrote:

Hello PHG

P| I've got a cupboard under the stairs which my kids use for
P| their coats/bags etc. It's already fitted with a bulb
P| and conventional manual light switch. Because they're always
P| forgetting to turn the light off, I was hoping to replace
P| the switch with one that's enabled (presumably a spring
P| mechanism) when the door is open, and turned off when the
P| door is closed. Are these available for mains circuits ? I
P| only recall seeing them for 9 or 12V circuits in wardrobes
P| etc. Thanks Paul

Cheaper: A PIR flood from the sheds.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

harrogate

PHG wrote:

I've got a cupboard under the stairs which my kids use for their

coats/bags
etc. It's already fitted with a bulb and
conventional manual light switch. Because they're always forgetting to

turn
the light off, I was hoping to replace the switch
with one that's enabled (presumably a spring mechanism) when the door is
open, and turned off when the door is closed.
Are these available for mains circuits ? I only recall seeing them for 9

or
12V circuits in wardrobes etc.
Thanks Paul

I had the same problem. I bought a mains rated push-button switch which
operates push-off. I fitted this into a small plastic box, and mounted the
box such that the door presses the switch button when the door is closed.

This has the advantage - IMSMC unlike the Ikea switch which is co-mounted
with the lamp - that the lamp can be fitted anywhere in the cupboard. With a
suitably rated switch and some suppression even a fluorescent or PLE can be
used. I ran a supply from a nearby circuit and fed it to the configuration
through a switched fused spur outlet so that I could make the circuit safe
in the event of need of maintenance.

--
Woody

Duncan Lees

PHG wrote:
I've got a cupboard under the stairs which my kids use for their coats/bags
etc. It's already fitted with a bulb and
conventional manual light switch. Because they're always forgetting to turn
the light off, I was hoping to replace the switch
with one that's enabled (presumably a spring mechanism) when the door is
open, and turned off when the door is closed.
Are these available for mains circuits ? I only recall seeing them for 9 or
12V circuits in wardrobes etc.
Thanks Paul

Of course you just have to make sure that they don't forget to close the
cupboard door afterwards...

-Duncan

Pete Cross

Why not put a bulkhead pir light fitting in. It lights up when they open the
door and goes out 30seconds later even if the door is left open. I have put
one in our porch so we can see the alarm keypad as we enter, nb weird 1930's
design of outer arched split door into small porch then another door into
hall.

--
Pete Cross

"Duncan Lees" duncan-at-snsys-dot-com wrote in message
. ..
PHG wrote:
I've got a cupboard under the stairs which my kids use for their

coats/bags
etc. It's already fitted with a bulb and
conventional manual light switch. Because they're always forgetting to

turn
the light off, I was hoping to replace the switch
with one that's enabled (presumably a spring mechanism) when the door is
open, and turned off when the door is closed.
Are these available for mains circuits ? I only recall seeing them for 9

or
12V circuits in wardrobes etc.
Thanks Paul

Of course you just have to make sure that they don't forget to close the
cupboard door afterwards...

-Duncan

socket and light switch heights Laurie UK diy 44 September 10th 03 10:01 PM
Wiring a light switch JohnB UK diy 2 September 5th 03 10:54 PM
Power an LED from a light switch? Pete UK diy 16 July 24th 03 10:23 PM
Cooker switch light flickering Adam UK diy 7 July 11th 03 07:55 PM
anyone know how to diagnose a faulty Choke / Ballast in fluorescent light circuit nick UK diy 14 July 7th 03 02:01 PM