JohnB

Default Wiring a light switch

I've always wondered when wiring a brass light switch whether it is
recommended (i.e. safer) to connect the earth to the back box or to the
earth connector on the back of the switch.

I always use the backbox, but does it actually matter ?

Just curious

Thanks

--
JohnB

BigWallop

"JohnB" wrote in message
I've always wondered when wiring a brass light switch whether it is
recommended (i.e. safer) to connect the earth to the back box or to the
earth connector on the back of the switch.

I always use the backbox, but does it actually matter ?

Just curious

Thanks

--
JohnB

When you remove the switch plate and hold it in your hand, just ask yourself
where the earth conductor is. Once you've removed the retaining screws and
taken the switch plate away from the box, it still has the live connection
to it, so it is not actually in contact with anything but your body if it
shows a fault. OUCH !!!

Both the metal back box and the switch plate should be bonded together with
earth by using a separate piece of wire to join them. That is the proper,
and safest, way it should be done.

JohnB

BigWallop wrote:

I've always wondered when wiring a brass light switch whether it is
recommended (i.e. safer) to connect the earth to the back box or to the
earth connector on the back of the switch.

I always use the backbox, but does it actually matter ?

When you remove the switch plate and hold it in your hand, just ask yourself
where the earth conductor is. Once you've removed the retaining screws and
taken the switch plate away from the box, it still has the live connection
to it, so it is not actually in contact with anything but your body if it
shows a fault. OUCH !!!

Mmmm yes excellent point ! I almost always switch off at the mains
before taking a switch off. But i'll earth the switch plate on the next
one - and cross to the backbox too.

Cheers

--
JohnB