harrogate

Default Door-operated mains light switch

"Ina Whirl" wrote in message
Ikea do them for just a few quid

PHG wrote:

I've got a cupboard under the stairs which my kids use for their

coats/bags
etc. It's already fitted with a bulb and
conventional manual light switch. Because they're always forgetting to

turn
the light off, I was hoping to replace the switch
with one that's enabled (presumably a spring mechanism) when the door is
open, and turned off when the door is closed.
Are these available for mains circuits ? I only recall seeing them for 9

or
12V circuits in wardrobes etc.
Thanks Paul

I had the same problem. I bought a mains rated push-button switch which
operates push-off. I fitted this into a small plastic box, and mounted the
box such that the door presses the switch button when the door is closed.

This has the advantage - IMSMC unlike the Ikea switch which is co-mounted
with the lamp - that the lamp can be fitted anywhere in the cupboard. With a
suitably rated switch and some suppression even a fluorescent or PLE can be
used. I ran a supply from a nearby circuit and fed it to the configuration
through a switched fused spur outlet so that I could make the circuit safe
in the event of need of maintenance.

--
Woody