Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Bowl gouge angle

What sharpening angle do you use for bowl gouges. I have always used
35 degrees. I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. I sharpen on a belt sander so it is a flat bottom.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I think I lost my mind. Please watch
where you step.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Gerald,

I believe that the normal bevel for bowl gouges should be 40 to 45
degrees; however, that grind will not allow you to cut all of the way
to the bottom of the bowl. You will need a second gouge with a 60 to
80 degree grind to finish turning to the bottom of the inside of the
bowl. Several years ago, I adopted the Ellsworth grind, which produces
a 60 degree nose bevel and swept back wings that can be used for shear
scraping. I find that it works very well on both the outside and the
inside of a bowl. It is best to have an Ellsworth Grinding jig to make
this grind. I purchased mine several years ago from Woodcraft. I
believe that Packard Woodworks also carries them. I don't know how it
would work on a belt sander, but it should work just fine.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

On May 2, 6:57 am, Gerald Ross wrote:
What sharpening angle do you use for bowl gouges. I have always used
35 degrees. I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. I sharpen on a belt sander so it is a flat bottom.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I think I lost my mind. Please watch
where you step.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Gerald Ross" wrote: (clip)
I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I understand your measurements, a 30 degree angle is thinner than a 35.
Generally, a thinner edge is *sharper,* but more delicate--so initially it
will cut better, but dull more quickly.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have some "fingernail" skews that are 60+ years old.
Long and shallow - shaving / cutting edges. But modern ones
are far blunter for heaver cutting.

Martin

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Gerald Ross" wrote: (clip)
I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I understand your measurements, a 30 degree angle is thinner than a 35.
Generally, a thinner edge is *sharper,* but more delicate--so initially it
will cut better, but dull more quickly.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 02 May 2010 09:57:32 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

What sharpening angle do you use for bowl gouges. I have always used
35 degrees. I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. I sharpen on a belt sander so it is a flat bottom.

Depends on the angle of the bowl walls and relationship to the bottom..
Quote from Steve Russell:
"If you're turning a standard half-round bowl, a 45-degree front bevel angle may
work well. However, that same 45-degree bevel won't work with a deep tulip style
bowl, which may need a 60, or even a 65-degree front bevel to maintain bevel
contact throughout the cut."

I'm not that extreme, but I do use gouges of different bevels on different types
of bowls.. Not that I can maintain a bevel from rim to bottom-center.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross wrote:
What sharpening angle do you use for bowl gouges. I have always used
35 degrees. I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. I sharpen on a belt sander so it is a flat bottom.

Sorry about the trick question folks. I should clarify that I use a
side-cutting grind. Also that 30 should have been a 40. I just wanted
to know what angle you experts are using. Even Leonard Lee ducks the
question for side-cutting bowl gouges. He gives the traditional angle
for straight across bowl gouges.

Thanks, Mac. At least you answered the question--"various".

Guess I should break down and buy a book on turning, but even then
that is only one opinion per book.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Why are there flotation devices under
plane seats instead of parachutes?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Gerald Ross" wrote: Why are there flotation devices under
plane seats instead of parachutes?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Because parachutes don't float worth a damn.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 3 May 2010 7:50:25 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote
(in message ):

Gerald Ross wrote:
What sharpening angle do you use for bowl gouges. I have always used
35 degrees. I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. I sharpen on a belt sander so it is a flat bottom.

Sorry about the trick question folks. I should clarify that I use a
side-cutting grind. Also that 30 should have been a 40. I just wanted
to know what angle you experts are using. Even Leonard Lee ducks the
question for side-cutting bowl gouges. He gives the traditional angle
for straight across bowl gouges.

Thanks, Mac. At least you answered the question--"various".

Guess I should break down and buy a book on turning, but even then
that is only one opinion per book.

In the final analysis, you will experiment and observe, and decide on a setup
that suits your style and temperament. You may even decide on a combination
of tools, like maybe a hook for quick removal of lots of wood, and then
various gouges and scrapers for the finish work. Yes, some turners might use
just one gouge for every stage of a bowl from roughing to finishŠ but not all
of them do. You're you.
It ain't rocket surgery.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 03 May 2010 08:50:25 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

That's why I use cheap bowl gouges, Gerald.. So I can have 3 at a time on the
rack with different grinds.. "Normal", "Side Grind / Swept wing" , "Almost
sharpened the handle", etc...