Gerald Ross

Default Mutilated Bowl Gouge

When I started turning, I made all my bowl gouges and put
relatively short handles on them. After buying a couple I
got frustrated by the huge handles when trying to finish the
inside of a bowl. The handle kept bumping against the ways.
Today I received a quarter inch one for finishing off inside
small bowls. I immediately chucked it up and turned off half
the handle. It's hard to change your ways when you get to be
an old codger.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A diplomat thinks twice before saying
nothing.

George

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
When I started turning, I made all my bowl gouges and put
relatively short handles on them. After buying a couple I
got frustrated by the huge handles when trying to finish the
inside of a bowl. The handle kept bumping against the ways.
Today I received a quarter inch one for finishing off inside
small bowls. I immediately chucked it up and turned off half
the handle. It's hard to change your ways when you get to be
an old codger.

It's not the sword, but the swordsman.

No sense going into contortions to make someone else's idea of a tool fit
your style.

Martin Rost

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
When I started turning, I made all my bowl gouges and put
relatively short handles on them. After buying a couple I
got frustrated by the huge handles when trying to finish the
inside of a bowl. The handle kept bumping against the ways.
Today I received a quarter inch one for finishing off inside
small bowls. I immediately chucked it up and turned off half
the handle. It's hard to change your ways when you get to be
an old codger.

It's not the sword, but the swordsman.

No sense going into contortions to make someone else's idea of a tool fit
your style.

Gerald,
You could get a larger lathe, then the ways would be out of your way.

--
Martin
Long Island, New York

Gerald Ross

Martin Rost wrote:
[...]

Or I could remove the tailstock and slide the banjo down to
the end and slide the headstock down to match.
Easier to cut off the handle, and only have to do it once.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A diplomat thinks twice before saying
nothing.

Ken Grunke

Gerald Ross wrote:
When I started turning, I made all my bowl gouges and put relatively
short handles on them. After buying a couple I got frustrated by the
huge handles when trying to finish the inside of a bowl. The handle kept
bumping against the ways.
Today I received a quarter inch one for finishing off inside small
bowls. I immediately chucked it up and turned off half the handle. It's
hard to change your ways when you get to be an old codger.

I look for unhandled tools, so I can make my own.
It's not the size of the handles you get that bothers me so much, but
the dumb standardized shapes and colors--blond or dark, with the long
ogee shape. I like a heavy, fat handle with a unique shape for each tool.
I can easily pick out my parting tool from the rack, it's the spalted
maple with the ball shape on the end.

Ken Grunke

Millers

Gerald Ross wrote:
Or I could remove the tailstock and slide the banjo down to the end and
slide the headstock down to match.
Easier to cut off the handle, and only have to do it once.

Used to be that you could get unhandled tools for $10 or so cheaper than
the handled ones. Why not go that route and turn/reuse your own handles?

?
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
George

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message
codger.

I look for unhandled tools, so I can make my own.
It's not the size of the handles you get that bothers me so much, but
the dumb standardized shapes and colors--blond or dark, with the long
ogee shape. I like a heavy, fat handle with a unique shape for each tool.

Also helps your hands on days when you turn for hours to have different
size/shape of grips.

One of the reasons why I have a half-dozen carving mallets - all with
different grips.

Bill Rubenstein

Packard Woodworks sells almost all tools unhandled which is the way I
buy them. The saving is usually only about $3.00 but even if it were
zero I'd still do it this way. Most factory handles are too light, too
small in diameter and too short to be comfortable for me.

Bill