Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Bowl gouge angle

Hello Gerald,

I believe that the normal bevel for bowl gouges should be 40 to 45
degrees; however, that grind will not allow you to cut all of the way
to the bottom of the bowl. You will need a second gouge with a 60 to
80 degree grind to finish turning to the bottom of the inside of the
bowl. Several years ago, I adopted the Ellsworth grind, which produces
a 60 degree nose bevel and swept back wings that can be used for shear
scraping. I find that it works very well on both the outside and the
inside of a bowl. It is best to have an Ellsworth Grinding jig to make
this grind. I purchased mine several years ago from Woodcraft. I
believe that Packard Woodworks also carries them. I don't know how it
would work on a belt sander, but it should work just fine.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

On May 2, 6:57 am, Gerald Ross wrote:
What sharpening angle do you use for bowl gouges. I have always used
35 degrees. I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. I sharpen on a belt sander so it is a flat bottom.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I think I lost my mind. Please watch