Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Bowl gouge angle

On Mon, 3 May 2010 7:50:25 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote
(in message ):

Gerald Ross wrote:
What sharpening angle do you use for bowl gouges. I have always used
35 degrees. I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. I sharpen on a belt sander so it is a flat bottom.

Sorry about the trick question folks. I should clarify that I use a
side-cutting grind. Also that 30 should have been a 40. I just wanted
to know what angle you experts are using. Even Leonard Lee ducks the
question for side-cutting bowl gouges. He gives the traditional angle
for straight across bowl gouges.

Thanks, Mac. At least you answered the question--"various".

Guess I should break down and buy a book on turning, but even then
that is only one opinion per book.

In the final analysis, you will experiment and observe, and decide on a setup
that suits your style and temperament. You may even decide on a combination
of tools, like maybe a hook for quick removal of lots of wood, and then
various gouges and scrapers for the finish work. Yes, some turners might use
just one gouge for every stage of a bowl from roughing to finishŠ but not all
of them do. You're you.
It ain't rocket surgery.
tom koehler

--