Tom Storey

Default Bowl Gouge

My current tools are ancient Craftsman; they work but I don't have a bowl
gouge and I deserve one! Question is: what size!

My lathe is a Jen Mini, Talon chuck and, when I turn bowls, they are 10" and
less (obviously). I'm looking at a Sorby deep fluted BG and I'm hung up
between a 3/8 or 1/2 with a fingernail grind. I'm looking at $80 Cdn so I
don't want to make a 'misteak'!

Thanks for the input, Tom

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.

Derek Hartzell

I used to have a 3/8". Now I have a 1/2". Much better, especially if you
turn some deeper bowls.

Derek

George

Either size will haul wood. I feel better with the 3/8 in tight quarters -
4" diameter - but have to admit the difference in gouge diameter can't be
the reason. Maybe it's the handle.

You're going to get more bowl gouges when you upgrade your lathe anyway.
I'd take 3/8 now, 5/8 future, to get the spread.

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
My current tools are ancient Craftsman; they work but I don't have a bowl
gouge and I deserve one! Question is: what size!

My lathe is a Jen Mini, Talon chuck and, when I turn bowls, they are 10"

and
less (obviously). I'm looking at a Sorby deep fluted BG and I'm hung up
between a 3/8 or 1/2 with a fingernail grind. I'm looking at $80 Cdn so I
don't want to make a 'misteak'!

Thanks for the input, Tom

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.

Walter

The 3/8 is a good choice It is capable of doing just about
any thing you lathe can handle. It is less agresive so
catches will be less harmful. The 1/2 is better for deeper
work. But can not do as small of work as the 3/8 Since most
of your work is most likely to be reasonable small the 3/8
is a better choice. I have both and use both regularly. I
have a Nova Comet same size as the jet and a powermatic
3520A. Walter