Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Bowl gouge angle

On Sun, 02 May 2010 09:57:32 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

What sharpening angle do you use for bowl gouges. I have always used
35 degrees. I tried 30 but they seem to dull just as quick and went
back to 35. I sharpen on a belt sander so it is a flat bottom.

Depends on the angle of the bowl walls and relationship to the bottom..
Quote from Steve Russell:
"If you're turning a standard half-round bowl, a 45-degree front bevel angle may
work well. However, that same 45-degree bevel won't work with a deep tulip style
bowl, which may need a 60, or even a 65-degree front bevel to maintain bevel
contact throughout the cut."

I'm not that extreme, but I do use gouges of different bevels on different types
of bowls.. Not that I can maintain a bevel from rim to bottom-center.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing