Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Bowl gouge flutes; V. U, ?.

Time was when Peter Child's Superflute, made by Robert Taylor was my
only choice in a hss deep fluted bowl gouge and I've used mine for a
long time. Now every manufacturer, small and large, slim or rotund
offers a bowl gouge and the advantages of their flutes and grinds run
the gamut, at least the ads say they do.

I can pretty well change the grinds for myself, but I don't do flutes,
so forget about the different steels & grinds unless the flute or steel
affects or controls the grind in some way.

Are there basic flute shapes other than 'U' and 'V' ? ie. Flutes that
are significantly or distinctly different from these. Seems most are
variations on a familiar theme either 'V' or 'U', but I suppose there
could be some satisfactory hybrids that I've not tried.

In your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages of the
different flutes you have used? How much does cost count above $50? Do
you keep any OEM handles that are obviously too short, for any reason
other than pride of purchase?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 31, 2:43 pm, (Arch) wrote:

Time was when Peter Child's Superflute, made by Robert Taylor was my
only choice in a hss deep fluted bowl gouge and I've used mine for a
long time.

I wouldn't use it too much, Arch. A genuine Robert Taylor gouge might
be worth something.

http://tinyurl.com/2cm5tp

I didn't know he was a woodturner, although in his day I think they
may have called it something else. He was quite the Lothario, you
know.

;^)

Sorry Arch... I am ashamed... I wasn't big enough to let that one go!

Now every manufacturer, small and large, slim or rotund
offers a bowl gouge and the advantages of their flutes and grinds run
the gamut, at least the ads say they do.

Throw in the "signature gouges" and who knows how many you actually
have.

I am looking for the Glenn Ford gouge now and ....

Stop it, Robert.

Are there basic flute shapes other than 'U' and 'V' ? ie. Flutes that
are significantly or distinctly different from these. Seems most are
variations on a familiar theme either 'V' or 'U', but I suppose there
could be some satisfactory hybrids that I've not tried.

OK, I think I am better now.

I have noticed that some tool manufacturers are changing some of their
profiles a little, for what reason I don't know. I have had a 3/8"
Gregory Peck bowl gouge (damnit... stop it...) I mean Henry Taylor for
some time. I have ground it down to where it is getting close to
using it as a mini three point, so I decided to replace it soon. When
looking at the new gouges, some of them actually seem to have newer
flute profiles on them than the profiles listed a couple of years ago.

On the smaller gouges, the flute looks more shallow, and on the larger
ones they look deeper and more aggressive.

In your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages of the
different flutes you have used? How much does cost count above $50?

The deep V flute is too aggressive for my tastes. Strangely, I like
it at the bottom of a bowl since I can grind it so you can use the
tip. But the old U design, or one of the not so shallow U designs
seem to be the best for me. With the wings swept back, they are easy
to cut with and easy to control.

Do
you keep any OEM handles that are obviously too short, for any reason
other than pride of purchase?

Absolutely. If I am too lazy to turn a new one or would rather work
on my projects and not on my tools, the short one stays!

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
snip

In your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages of the
different flutes you have used?

I bought an inexpensive (cheap) one that is more V than I was used to.
I can't get the hang of it. Use it some for roughing out. If I wasn't
so cheap myself I would throw it away.

How much does cost count above $50?

More and more.

Do you keep any OEM handles that are obviously too short, for any reason
other than pride of purchase?

How about obviously too long? I have a 1/4" gouge that was always
whacking the ways when turning the corner inside a small bowl or box.
I sawed it off and now it looks more like a screwdriver, and I love
it. Yes I saved the part I sawed off.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

If you're right 95% of the time, why
quibble about the remaining 3%?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

In your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages of the
different flutes you have used?

I have a 3/8 and 5/8 Glaser (V) and a Sorby "superflute" (U) the same
shaft diameter as the larger Glaser. The Sorby and the 3/8 Glaser
seem really easy to control. The 5/8 Glaser, not so much. I have to
really think about what I'm doing. It could be a practice thing since
I don't reach for it until I think I have to.

*How much does cost count above $50?

To tell the truth, I'm not sold on the "super steels". They just don't
seem to be that much different. But then my mountain bike is aluminum,
not titanium or carbon fiber.

*Do you keep any OEM handles that are obviously too short, for any reason
other than pride of purchase?

I try to buy unhandled whenever I can. I prefer really fat handles. If
a handle is too short, skinny, or dosen't feel right I knock it off,
but I try it first to make sure. My Sorby still has the original
handle and looking at it I would say it was way too skinny. After I
used it, It felt right so I didn't change it.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

OEM handles???? I give, what does that mean?

As far as U and V gouges, they are different. I have a 5/8 Glaser V
gouge, and it is deffinatly a V shape. I prefer it on the outside of
bowls to the inside. The U shaped are equally at home on either. I am
one of those people who keep my handle level when turning. I figure
that with a curved tip, you are getting a shear cut anyway, so why
drop the handle. With the Thompson gouges, his V is more of a U, and
his U is more of a C. I prefer his V gouge. I do think one advantage
of the V is a higher angle on the cutting edge, so perhaps a slighty
more shear angle when cutting. A deep flute isn't good for hogging off
a lot of material as they tend to clog. With the Thompson gouges, they
are supposed to be the same steel as the Glaser, but they do seem to
keep the edge better than the Glaser that I have. I don't think it got
the cryogenic treatment that they now get. The edges do last a lot
longer than the other steels that I have used, and as a production
turner, they are well worth the money. I do prefer to make my own
handles. I like big heavy tools, and big handles. The factory ones
just don't feel right in my hands. A plain round handle is nice.
robo hippy

On Apr 1, 5:38*am, ebd wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"robo hippy" wrote in message
OEM handles???? I give, what does that mean?

OEM + original equipment manufacturer

Ok I know you was joking it is april fools, but just in case................
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Robert,

Senility has set in and I know I ought to look things up. Of course the
gouge was made by Henry Fonda.

I could be wrong again and for alls I know it'll end up having been made
by Henry Taylor, but I do remember it was designed by Julia Child.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 1, 10:32 pm, (Arch) wrote:
Hey Robert,

Senility has set in and I know I ought to look things up. Of course the
gouge was made by Henry Fonda.

I could be wrong again and for alls I know it'll end up having been made
by Henry Taylor, but I do remember it was designed by Julia Child.

Well, I wasn't expecting such a humorous reply. I am still sitting
over here chuckling. You may actually be on to something there. I
could see naming my different gouges with names of my favorite movie
stars of yore.

I realized after I posted that I could have been in deep water as so
many folks now have their own line, and many I have never heard of.
Just look at the Craft Supply catalog and you will know what I am
talking about. Who in the world are some of those people?

Anyway.. you know I was just funnin'.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 22:38:28 -0400, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

"robo hippy" wrote in message
OEM handles???? I give, what does that mean?

OEM + original equipment manufacturer

Ok I know you was joking it is april fools, but just in case................
Lyndell

I like the Bill Clinton handle...
Sorta cigar shaped..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

"robo hippy" wrote in message
OEM handles???? I give, what does that mean?

OEM + original equipment manufacturer

Ok I know you was joking it is april fools, but just in case................
Lyndell

I like the Bill Clinton handle...
Sorta cigar shaped.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Why not try the algoreclimatehoaxgouge, it's a winner with scabble....

--
Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

"robo hippy" wrote in message
OEM handles???? I give, what does that mean?

OEM + original equipment manufacturer

Ok I know you was joking it is april fools, but just in case................
Lyndell

I like the Bill Clinton handle...
Sorta cigar shaped.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Why not try the algoreclimatehoaxgouge, it's a winner with scabble....

My math isn't that good...
Never could understand the AlGorhythm..

mac

Please remove [dot]splinters before emailing