Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd ebd is offline

Default Bowl gouge flutes; V. U, ?.

In your experience what are the advantages and disadvantages of the
different flutes you have used?

I have a 3/8 and 5/8 Glaser (V) and a Sorby "superflute" (U) the same
shaft diameter as the larger Glaser. The Sorby and the 3/8 Glaser
seem really easy to control. The 5/8 Glaser, not so much. I have to
really think about what I'm doing. It could be a practice thing since
I don't reach for it until I think I have to.

*How much does cost count above $50?

To tell the truth, I'm not sold on the "super steels". They just don't
seem to be that much different. But then my mountain bike is aluminum,
not titanium or carbon fiber.

*Do you keep any OEM handles that are obviously too short, for any reason
other than pride of purchase?

I try to buy unhandled whenever I can. I prefer really fat handles. If
a handle is too short, skinny, or dosen't feel right I knock it off,
but I try it first to make sure. My Sorby still has the original
handle and looking at it I would say it was way too skinny. After I
used it, It felt right so I didn't change it.