Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Wooden Knitting Needles

After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova Scotia:
http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop....dles/index.htm,
and is happy with them.

She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who doesn't
advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that kind of work or
knows of someone who does? You can respond here or email.

TIA

Tanus
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

In article , Tanus wrote:

After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova Scotia:
http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop....dles/index.htm,
and is happy with them.

She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who doesn't
advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that kind of work or
knows of someone who does? You can respond here or email.

TIA

Tanus

AFARC, needles are tough, due to the exact sizing needed. I've done a
couple more my SWMBO, but they were difficult to get to the exact size
she wanted

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

A quick Google search of "wooden knitting needles" gave not only a lot
of ready resources, but plenty of actual choices.

They're cheap, too.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article , Tanus wrote:

After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova Scotia:
http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop....dles/index.htm,
and is happy with them.

She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who doesn't
advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that kind of work or
knows of someone who does? You can respond here or email.

TIA

Tanus

AFARC, needles are tough, due to the exact sizing needed. I've done a
couple more my SWMBO, but they were difficult to get to the exact size
she wanted

I figured there was a skill involved, and my skills with the lathe are
pretty rudimentary. I didn't know about the size thing.

Dave suggested dowels and a pencil sharpener. I guess that falls into
the same thing of sizing, tho. But it's sure an easy alternative.

Tanus

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You might want to look for a dowel making jig or plans on how to make
one. There are a few out there. That would give you your consistant
size. Then you could use the pencil sharpener to get it closer to
right. The "keeper" on the needle doesn't "have" to be a sphere so
you could turn some disc and drill out the hole to the correct size.

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:05:21 -0400, Tanus wrote:

I figured there was a skill involved, and my skills with the lathe are
pretty rudimentary. I didn't know about the size thing.

Dave suggested dowels and a pencil sharpener. I guess that falls into
the same thing of sizing, tho. But it's sure an easy alternative.

Tanus

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova
Scotia: http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop....dles/index.htm,
and is happy with them.

She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who doesn't
advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that kind of work
or knows of someone who does? You can respond here or email.

Last night I saw a package of bamboo skewers at Walmart. They were about 14"
long and pointed. I guess you could put your own counter weight on the
non-pointy end...

Package of 100: $1.00.

Complain about Chinese products all you want, but I figure they know how to
make hand-held sticks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Tanus wrote:
After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova
Scotia: http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop....dles/index.htm,
and is happy with them.

She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who doesn't
advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that kind of work
or knows of someone who does? You can respond here or email.

Last night I saw a package of bamboo skewers at Walmart. They were
about 14" long and pointed. I guess you could put your own counter
weight on the non-pointy end...

Package of 100: $1.00.

Complain about Chinese products all you want, but I figure they know
how to make hand-held sticks.

Bit skinny for knitting needles, though, aren't they?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tanus wrote:
After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova
Scotia: http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop....dles/index.htm,
and is happy with them.

She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who
doesn't advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that
kind of work or knows of someone who does? You can respond here or
email.

Last night I saw a package of bamboo skewers at Walmart. They were
about 14" long and pointed. I guess you could put your own counter
weight on the non-pointy end...

Package of 100: $1.00.

Complain about Chinese products all you want, but I figure they know
how to make hand-held sticks.

Bit skinny for knitting needles, though, aren't they?

I have no idea. I'm a lover, not a knitter.

But you could make a dandy rubber-band crossbow for them.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tanus wrote:
After a DAGS, SWMBO bought some needles from this place in Nova
Scotia: http://www.lismoresheepfarmwoolshop....dles/index.htm,
and is happy with them.

She's also looking for alternate sources, perhaps someone who
doesn't advertise on the web. Is there anyone here who does that
kind of work or knows of someone who does? You can respond here or
email.

Last night I saw a package of bamboo skewers at Walmart. They were
about 14" long and pointed. I guess you could put your own counter
weight on the non-pointy end...

Package of 100: $1.00.

Complain about Chinese products all you want, but I figure they know
how to make hand-held sticks.

Bit skinny for knitting needles, though, aren't they?

I have no idea. I'm a lover, not a knitter.

But you could make a dandy rubber-band crossbow for them.

LOL. I'll tell her that. The other issue that she told me just now is
that US and UK suppliers won't ship to Canada.

Tanus

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tanus wrote:
[...]

Maybe she could knit one of these:

Pic
http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-con...un-fashion.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Maybe she could knit one of these:

http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-con...un-fashion.jpg

Yeah, but then there would be arguments as to who gets to wear it. One would
want it for fashion and the other would want it for warmth.

I can just envision someone wearing one of those at a lingerie show ~ a
unisex garment usable by both sexes.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Maybe she could knit one of these:

Pic
http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-con...un-fashion.jpg

You guys kill me. Where on earth do you come up with this stuff?

I have to save this one for the right occasion... unlikely as it is, you
never know...

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Maybe she could knit one of these:

Pic
http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-con...un-fashion.jpg

You guys kill me. Where on earth do you come up with this stuff?

I have to save this one for the right occasion... unlikely as it is,
you never know...

Start with:
www.icanhascheezburger.com and follow the links to companion sights:

www.failblog.org and

www.pictureisunrelated.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Maybe she could knit one of these:

Pic
http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-con...un-fashion.jpg

Apparently the performers wear these In Sasha Baron's new Bruno movie,
don't know. the blogger could be off base too.
I will keep tabs on this now that you brought it up because it is
interesting

mk5000

"yours is no disgrace
death defying mutilated armies scatter the earth
crawling out of dirty holes their morals their morals
disappear. Yesterday the morning came a smile upon your face"--yours no
disgrace, yes

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Tanus" wrote in message ...

Dave suggested dowels and a pencil sharpener. I guess that falls into
the same thing of sizing, tho. But it's sure an easy alternative.

I don't think that work for me

So he is not always accurate--he made it seem like it was for
all of us

mk5000

we have the same intrigue
as a court of kings
ah leave it ah leave it
dit dit dit"--yes
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Upscale" wrote in message

Yeah, but then there would be arguments as to who gets to wear it.

Ignore the rhetoric.
Tell the guy to get a roll of quarters

mk5000

"Im moving through some changes
Ill never be the same
Something you did touched me
Theres no one else to blame'-yes

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
www.icanhascheezburger.com and follow the links to companion sights:

I like this one

http://icanhascheezburger.com/?s=global+warming

because

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/011606R.shtml

Global Warming to Speed Up as Carbon Levels Show Sharp Rise
By Geoffrey Lean
The Independent UK

Sunday 15 January 2006

Global warming is set to accelerate alarmingly because of a sharp jump
in the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

Preliminary figures, exclusively obtained by The Independent on Sunday,
show that levels of the gas - the main cause of climate change - have risen
abruptly in the past four years. Scientists fear that warming is entering a
new phase, and may accelerate further.

But a summit of the most polluting countries, convened by the Bush
administration, last week refused to set targets for reducing their carbon
dioxide emissions. Set up in competition to the Kyoto Protocol, the summit,
held in Sydney and attended by Australia, China, India, Japan and South
Korea as well as the United States, instead pledged to develop cleaner
technologies - which some experts believe will not arrive in time.

The climb in carbon dioxide content showed up in readings from the US
government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, taken at the
summit of Mauna Loa, Hawaii. The measurements have been taken regularly
since 1958 in the 11,400ft peak's pristine conditions, 2,000 miles from the
nearest landmass and protected by unusual climatic conditions from the
pollution of Hawaii, two miles below.

Through most of the past half-century, levels of the gas rose by an
average of 1.3 parts per million a year; in the late 1990s, this figure rose
to 1.6 ppm, and again to 2ppm in 2002 and 2003. But unpublished figures for
the first 10 months of this year show a rise of 2.2ppm.

Scientists believe this may be the first evidence that climate change is
starting to produce itself, as rising temperatures so alter natural systems
that the Earth itself releases more gas, driving the thermometer ever
higher.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

What a bunch of hokum. The summit is above (and is a part of) an active volcano
that is building a new island. It is producing massive amounts of CO2 and other
complex chemical mixes. And the latest jump is the Big island is moving away
from the the hot spot. Island making in the process. The next in a large
series from before or the time of Midway.

Martin

marika wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
What a bunch of hokum. The summit is above (and is a part of) an active
volcano that is building a new island. It is producing massive amounts
of CO2 and other complex chemical mixes. ...

Speaking of...

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=38985

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
What a bunch of hokum. The summit is above (and is a part of) an active
volcano that is building a new island. It is producing massive amounts of
CO2 and other
complex chemical mixes. And the latest jump is the Big island is moving
away
from the the hot spot. Island making in the process. The next in a large
series from before or the time of Midway.

I know; isn't that awful?

mk5000

"a dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to press my cheek to
a thrill that I have never known\
oh yeah you smile you smile"--beyonce, at last

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"dpb" wrote in message

Speaking of...

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=38985

--

whoa that's cool

speaking of which, I'm watching Exodus Callisto
Really neat show

mk5000

"If I wanna try to count the ways You make me smile
I'll run out of fingers Before I run out of time
To sing to talk about Sugar you keeps it going on
Make me wanna keep my lovin strong "--you are my rock, beyonce

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:040720091618264817%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , marika
wrote:

mk5000

Watch out for this fscking troll.

The cross-posted (deleted from this reply) group
"alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley" is a private playground where the
cretin counts the number of replies to its posts.

Why are you stalking me sir? Your obsessive attention to me is getting a
bit creepy

If you don't like what I wrote, please kill file me

mk5000

"Miss unafraid
Miss outta my way"--Kelly Clarkson

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
Watch out for this fscking troll.

Why are you stalking me sir? Your obsessive attention to me is getting

bit creepy

You're showing up the groups I frequent, troll. I like the people in
those groups, so it's worth my time to warn them about mental
defectives like you.

As you've aptly proven by his re-addition of his chosen newsgroups.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:040720091849379095%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...

You're showing up the groups I frequent, troll. I like the people in
those groups, so it's worth my time to warn them about mental
defectives like you.

I have been reading these 2 groups since at least 2002, earlier according to
google when I switched isps. Thus I have been frequenting this group for a
very long time. They are also "my chosen newsgroups", all 3 of em
I like the people here too.
I share their valuable insights with friends who don't have access.
I delurk here maybe once a year maybe less.
Not sure why that means you have to go into a froth about it or curse at me.
You can kill file me and others who have made up their mind that you are
pure good and I am pure evil can do the same. Otherwise I will continue to
talk pleasantly with those who wish to do the same.

Now that you have spent all this time ranting about me and warning about the
evil I represent

Could you please post something about wood.

I'd like to hear from that guy in MD who started the TV show. I am going to
show that post to my boss on Monday when I get back to work because I
suspect he can get that program, since he lives in NOva

mk5000

"something that will last forever
do you ever think when you're alone
all that we could be where this thing could go
am i crazy or falling in love"--david archuleta, crush

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

"marika" wrote in message
Could you please post something about wood.

Dump the alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley crossposting and you might get a
response. If you need to post to 'friends' in that newsgroup, then you can
repost there. You might also indicate what you've made out of wood. Until
you do that, you are just trolling.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Upscale" wrote in message

As you've aptly proven by his re-addition of his chosen newsgroups.

This past month I have been returning to the Reynolds Center in DC. And
have noticed this really neat piece on the 3rd floor. It's a horse or at
least is meant to look like one.

From far away it looks like a skeleton.

As you get nearer you realize it can't be a skeleton because it's not
arranged symmetrically at all.

Then you realize it's not bone at all. It's a white or grey wood. And then
you think it's merely driftwood. But then you realize it seems to be scored
somewhat regularly and the marks may not have been nature.

It's sort of amazing the several deceptions it creates as you get closer and
closer.

I wonder what kind of wood it is and whether it is natural or not. I tried
to find a photo of it but though there's a copy of it on the little film
they show as you walk in, I can't find it anywhere on the website.

It's really kind of neat.

mk5000

"Burning with desire
She was on the sidewalk
Looking for a nightlife
We talked about the real things"--killers, joyride

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Upscale" wrote in message

"marika" wrote in message
Could you please post something about wood.

Dump the alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley crossposting and you might get a
response. If you need to post to 'friends' in that newsgroup, then you can
repost there. You might also indicate what you've made out of wood. Until
you do that, you are just trolling.

I appreciate your advice and observations but I am neither new to newsgroups
nor seeking approval nor responses

You aren't required to reply and I won't be offended if you don't. You are
entitled to hate me all you want or to view me with suspicion or distrust.

It still doesn't mean I won't post my thoughts or take offense if you kill
file them just because I did. Or read to share with friends.

Your challenge doesn't make sense to me. What you are saying in essence:
work in wood or don't ever talk to us. What you are saying is: people who
appreciate the art need not interact with us. Only people who are talented
and skilled should come to this group.

I don't see well enough to engage in crafts, drive, or do things of that
nature. I won't take offense if you delete or kill file just because I am
not as gifted as you.

That sure doesn't mean I won't admire a splendid craft or other work. I've
got enough vision and appreciation for the gifts of others and feel that I
am entitled to comment or observe or try to talk to people who participate
in such crafts and share my thoughts and observations. While crossposting.
It's neither illegal nor has it caused anything except Dave's and now yours
reactions when you could be talking about wood instead of me

mk5000

"You'll stay up late tonight,
you'll turn off your phone.
Well you were selfish too,
but you were never all alone."--forget about what I said, Killers

Wooden Knitting Needles Tanus Woodworking 34 July 6th 09 12:43 AM
bone knitting DGDevin Woodworking 10 May 1st 09 07:30 PM
NEEDLES J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 05:12 AM
Brother knitting machine power supply? Bob Eager UK diy 10 April 6th 07 09:16 PM