Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Questions about a piece of crotch willow...

I found a freshly cut willow crotch. It is about 2' long. The single end
is about 18" diameter, the double ends about 12" each. A picture of it is
at http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/willow.jpg
I have some questions.

1) Is this even worthwhile; is willow worth turning?
2) If so, what would my goal be, in terms of a turning block. How would I
cut it for best use
3) Lifting it into the trunk I strained my back, so I won't be doing
anything with it very soon. I have coated the three exposed ends. Is that
adequate, or should I do something else? (If willow isn't worth turning, I
suppose I should toss it...) If necessary, I can get my son to cut it up,
but he won't be happy about it.

Thanks

OT - New One piece Bearings versus two piece style stone Metalworking 4 March 27th 06 03:56 PM
Toilet questions- 1 piece versus 2 piece toilets KOS Home Ownership 1 September 29th 05 03:25 PM
Willow Henry Woodturning 6 December 10th 04 01:23 PM
Willow Derek Andrews Woodturning 7 July 30th 04 12:22 PM