Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TonyM TonyM is offline

Default Questions about a piece of crotch willow...

My recommendation is to at least rough out the willow ASAP. In my
experience willow deteriorates rapidly and within a month of cutting turns
to mush. The wood is bland in can be fuzzy as others have noted. I like to
use the fuzziness as an advantage. After turning the wood I don't bother
sanding but use a steel brush on the wood while it is turning. This really
brings out the fuzz and when the wood is dry the fuzz is still soft. Always
amazes people who pick up something that's wood and it feels like a towel.
Hope this helps.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners

"Toller" wrote in message
news
I found a freshly cut willow crotch. It is about 2' long. The single end
is about 18" diameter, the double ends about 12" each. A picture of it is
at http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/willow.jpg
I have some questions.

1) Is this even worthwhile; is willow worth turning?
2) If so, what would my goal be, in terms of a turning block. How would I
cut it for best use
3) Lifting it into the trunk I strained my back, so I won't be doing
anything with it very soon. I have coated the three exposed ends. Is
that adequate, or should I do something else? (If willow isn't worth
turning, I suppose I should toss it...) If necessary, I can get my son to
cut it up, but he won't be happy about it.

Thanks