Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Questions about a piece of crotch willow...

"Toller" wrote in message
news
I found a freshly cut willow crotch. It is about 2' long. The single end
is about 18" diameter, the double ends about 12" each. A picture of it is
at http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/willow.jpg
I have some questions.

1) Is this even worthwhile; is willow worth turning?
2) If so, what would my goal be, in terms of a turning block. How would I
cut it for best use
3) Lifting it into the trunk I strained my back, so I won't be doing
anything with it very soon. I have coated the three exposed ends. Is
that adequate, or should I do something else? (If willow isn't worth
turning, I suppose I should toss it...) If necessary, I can get my son to
cut it up, but he won't be happy about it.

Willow's worth turning, though it might seem it's not initially. It'll be
fuzzy and uncooperative when wet, improve vastly when dry. See Darrell's
site for a look at crotch cuts. http://www.aroundthewoods.com/

Shows nice shimmer, is almost impossible to crack when drying, though
leaving convoluted grain areas a bit thick is a good idea anyway.