Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Toller Toller is offline

Default One half done!

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
Well, I cut the crotch in half and made one side into a bowl blank.
Sadly it is rather smaller than I intended due to a wimpy bandsaw, an
inability to read a ruler, and somehow getting it on the lathe cockeyed;
but I have a lovely 8" diameter rough cut bowl.

Only the end grain came out fuzzy, so I don't see that leaving it fuzzy
makes much sense; though maybe the condition will be more widespread when
it is dry.
The colors are great; going from nearly to black to nearly white, all
swirled together.

Tomorrow I will try to tackle the other half. Hopefully I learned
something from the first half.
Thanks.

Did you get wet? The first piece of willow I ever turned spat at me and
left a mark on the wall behind it. ;-)

Very wet experience

The grain spacing was wild ... about 1/2" between annual rings!

Yours sounds like it might be spalted. If so, would you post a pic on abpw
when you get done and drop us a line to let us know it's there? I'm
probably not the only one who'd like to see the final result.

My ISP doesn't do abpw, but the rough bowls are at
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/bowls.jpg

I didn't get the trunk cut down the center, so one is much bigger than the
other. The big one is rather rougher than I hoped; I think I will wind up
losing the top inch or two.
You can't tell from this, but the grain on the saw cut pieces is quite
interesting.