Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Toller Toller is offline

Default Questions about a piece of crotch willow...

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Toller,

Answer to your first question, willow is not a very spectacular wood
to turn. It is a bit soft and stringy; however, a crotch piece such as
you have may produce some nice grain patterns making it worthwhile to
turn.

Depending upon the size of your lathe, assuming at least a 14 or 16
inch swing, the best bet would be to split it one the pith of the
large piece and hopefully through the pith of the two branches. Then
take out a circle centered on the crotch if possible. If would be good
if you could at least get it split to get rid of the pith, but it
would be best to split it and then rough turn it as far as
preservation goes.

That is what sons are for--to help out ol' dad when he becomes stove
up for some reason. Get him to cut it for you.

Split it with wedges? I was thinking I was going to have to saw it in half
as crotches tend not to split very well.