Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default One half done!

Toller wrote:
Well, I cut the crotch in half and made one side into a bowl blank. Sadly
it is rather smaller than I intended due to a wimpy bandsaw, an inability to
read a ruler, and somehow getting it on the lathe cockeyed; but I have a
lovely 8" diameter rough cut bowl.

Only the end grain came out fuzzy, so I don't see that leaving it fuzzy
makes much sense; though maybe the condition will be more widespread when it
is dry.
The colors are great; going from nearly to black to nearly white, all
swirled together.

Tomorrow I will try to tackle the other half. Hopefully I learned something
from the first half.
Thanks.

Did you get wet? The first piece of willow I ever turned spat at me and
left a mark on the wall behind it. ;-)

The grain spacing was wild ... about 1/2" between annual rings!

Yours sounds like it might be spalted. If so, would you post a pic on
abpw when you get done and drop us a line to let us know it's there? I'm
probably not the only one who'd like to see the final result.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000750-1, 06/18/2007
Tested on: 6/18/2007 4:15:41 PM