Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Lathe Spindle Taps

I tried to order a 1 1/4 x 8 tap from JR Beal a few months ago and was told
the ones they had were flawed. I think a few on this ng had the same
response. I checked again a couple of weeks ago and JR sent me one of the
new taps for a user trial. Works great, just like advertised and apparently
they now have all the popular sizes in quantity.

No affiliation, just a happy customer

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:26:01 GMT, "Tom Storey" wrote:

I tried to order a 1 1/4 x 8 tap from JR Beal a few months ago and was told
the ones they had were flawed. I think a few on this ng had the same
response. I checked again a couple of weeks ago and JR sent me one of the
new taps for a user trial. Works great, just like advertised and apparently
they now have all the popular sizes in quantity.

No affiliation, just a happy customer

Damn, I hope you're right about the "they now have all the popular sizes in
quantity"....
I've had a 1-8 spindle tap on backorder for months and I'm moving on October
12...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:34:32 -0700, mac davis wrote:

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:26:01 GMT, "Tom Storey" wrote:

I tried to order a 1 1/4 x 8 tap from JR Beal a few months ago and was told
the ones they had were flawed. I think a few on this ng had the same
response. I checked again a couple of weeks ago and JR sent me one of the
new taps for a user trial. Works great, just like advertised and apparently
they now have all the popular sizes in quantity.

No affiliation, just a happy customer

Damn, I hope you're right about the "they now have all the popular sizes in
quantity"....
I've had a 1-8 spindle tap on backorder for months and I'm moving on October
12...

Mac

Follow up for those interested:
I exchanged emails with J.R. at Beall and found that while he had a good supply
of the 1 1/4" x 8 taps, the other sizes were not available..
He hoped to have them within a month..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Strange, when I got mine at MSC several years ago they had no problems.
Bought the cheapest one they had and it still works great. But then they
are metal taps but still do excellent in wood. Maybe they should order
from MSC.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

sorry about the mis-info. I guess I read more into a conversation than was
there

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jim
I use taps to clean the threads of face plates and such, but mostly to make
jigs, glue blocks, and wood faceplates that do not tie up a metal faceplate.
For an idea see http://aroundthewoods.com/gblock.shtml

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Jim Hall" wrote in message
If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks, Darrell.. Makes perfect sense now that you explained it.. An
endless supply of faceplates and glue blocks.. That is definitely a money
saving handy lathe accessory!! -Jim..

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:52:46 -0700, "Jim Hall" wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

I use a lot of vacuum chucks and get tired of gluing a nut in each one...

I'm also looking for an economical way to make chucks so that folks could buy
them when starting into vacuum chucking without having to pay big bucks for
them..

Also, for scrap blocks, jigs, etc...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:52:46 -0700, "Jim Hall" wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

I use a lot of vacuum chucks and get tired of gluing a nut in each one...

I'm also looking for an economical way to make chucks so that folks could
buy
them when starting into vacuum chucking without having to pay big bucks
for
them..

Also, for scrap blocks, jigs, etc...

Why not make them to be held in your chuck? Sort of like making your
fixtures for flat work to fit the Workmate?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jim
The day you find that there is glue or varnish build up in the threads of
your favorite chuck or faceplate and you clean it out in a jiffy, is the day
you REALLY think the tap is a time and money saver! O do I know this.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:54:07 GMT, "George" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:52:46 -0700, "Jim Hall" wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

I use a lot of vacuum chucks and get tired of gluing a nut in each one...

I'm also looking for an economical way to make chucks so that folks could
buy them when starting into vacuum chucking without having to pay big bucks
for them..

Also, for scrap blocks, jigs, etc...

Why not make them to be held in your chuck? Sort of like making your
fixtures for flat work to fit the Workmate?

Mac

I have 2 that do just that, but they're a PITA to use... both have vacuum line
and a rubber gasket that fits the Talon jaws but you have to be really careful
to get it sealed or you lose vacuum...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

the problem with tapping wood is that it doesn't hold up all that well to
repeated threading and unthreading - neither does aluminum - that's one
reason why I stick with steel nuts for the faceplates I sell - I could make
aluminum faceplates, but they wouldn't hold up as well and they would cost
more.
bill (www.wbnoble.com)

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:52:46 -0700, "Jim Hall" wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

I use a lot of vacuum chucks and get tired of gluing a nut in each one...

I'm also looking for an economical way to make chucks so that folks could
buy
them when starting into vacuum chucking without having to pay big bucks
for
them..

Also, for scrap blocks, jigs, etc...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

True, Bill
But when I think the threads are getting loose, I just heave that glue block
and make another. I find the maple ones last a long, long, time.

--

______
God bless and safe turning
.. .

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:52:46 -0700, "Jim Hall" wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

I use a lot of vacuum chucks and get tired of gluing a nut in each

one...

I'm also looking for an economical way to make chucks so that folks

could
buy
them when starting into vacuum chucking without having to pay big bucks
for
them..

Also, for scrap blocks, jigs, etc...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm new and just following this 'tap' root...(ooah), I'm wondering
what the differences are between the Beal wood taps and a general
'bottom tap'? Is it just a difference in the number of lead threads
tapered and/or the shank diameter? What would be the best way to hold
the tap and wood piece -assuming the piece is a small glue block type
size and shape (approx. 3 inches)? Could you still use the wood tap
for steel in a pinch? I see the price of a wood tap is about 42% more
than a regular bottom tap (1" - 8 NC). Has anyone tried both and which
do you like?

thanks... june, in Denver

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
True, Bill
But when I think the threads are getting loose, I just heave that glue block
and make another. I find the maple ones last a long, long, time.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
True, Bill
But when I think the threads are getting loose, I just heave that glue block
and make another. I find the maple ones last a long, long, time.

--

As to holding, I believe that Beall recommends chucking the piece of wood and
using a tail stock chuck for the tap, slowly turning the work while advancing

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sorry, June, I have not used the Beal and I am not sure of the differences
between it and other taps. My understanding is that the Beal is a wood tap
and likely structured for a different thread than a metal tap. Not all
threads are the same even when the same number per inch. Generally in metal
work, a bottoming tap follows a taper tap so as to get to the bottom of a
blind hole.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
oups.com...

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
True, Bill
But when I think the threads are getting loose, I just heave that glue

block
and make another. I find the maple ones last a long, long, time.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"meturner19" writes:

I'm new and just following this 'tap' root...(ooah), I'm wondering
what the differences are between the Beal wood taps and a general
'bottom tap'?

Most taps have - at the end - a general taper. That's so the first few
cuts just take a smidge of a cut. As you enter the hole, the cuts get
deeper. So after about 3-4 turns the threads are at the normal depth.

The problem is - what do you do with a blind hole? That is, what if
you have a hole cut into wood, and it does not go all the way thru?

The above tap will not make a full thread at the bottom of the hole.
That's why you use a bottom tap. It has full threads at the bottom.

It's hard to use a bottom tap in a hole with no threads. So you start
with a normal tap, and then finish with a bottom tap.

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/tapping_guide.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Here's a good URL I found, in addition to Darrell's previously mentioned,
that was very helpful on this subject.. -Jim

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...Faceplates.htm

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
True, Bill
But when I think the threads are getting loose, I just heave that glue

block
and make another. I find the maple ones last a long, long, time.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bruce Barnett wrote in
:

"meturner19" writes:

I'm new and just following this 'tap' root...(ooah), I'm wondering
what the differences are between the Beal wood taps and a general
'bottom tap'?

Most taps have - at the end - a general taper. That's so the first few
cuts just take a smidge of a cut. As you enter the hole, the cuts get
deeper. So after about 3-4 turns the threads are at the normal depth.

The problem is - what do you do with a blind hole? That is, what if
you have a hole cut into wood, and it does not go all the way thru?

The above tap will not make a full thread at the bottom of the hole.
That's why you use a bottom tap. It has full threads at the bottom.

It's hard to use a bottom tap in a hole with no threads. So you start
with a normal tap, and then finish with a bottom tap.

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/tapping_guide.htm

Bruce and Darrell are absolutely correct, but I believe you also asked
whether a wood tap could be used to tap metal and if a metal tap can be
used to tap wood. A metal tap can always tap wood as far as I know. The
metal is much harder than the wood. The ability to cut quality threads
probably depends on the kind of wood and the pitch of the threads. Wood
taps are designed to tap wood. I have never tried to tap metal with one.
I expect they would tap lead, copper, bronze, and brass, but I wouldn't
use them on steel.
Regards,
Hank

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks guys for all your replys and url referrals. I'm not sure when
I'll get to this, there are so many other things I want to do too. The
project list is building. june

Jim Hall wrote:
Here's a good URL I found, in addition to Darrell's previously mentioned,
that was very helpful on this subject.. -Jim

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...Faceplates.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 21:07:25 -0700, "Jim Hall" wrote:

Here's a good URL I found, in addition to Darrell's previously mentioned,
that was very helpful on this subject.. -Jim

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...Faceplates.htm

Great web site, Jim... thanks!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You're welcome, Mac. Nice to be able to contribute something.. His duct
tape method of attaching a bowl to a faceplate had me scratching my head a
little. Guess he's living proof it can be done.. -Jim

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 21:07:25 -0700, "Jim Hall" wrote:

Here's a good URL I found, in addition to Darrell's previously mentioned,
that was very helpful on this subject.. -Jim

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...Faceplates.htm

Great web site, Jim... thanks!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

FA: Dumore Tool Post Grinder Inserts, K.O. Lee Index Disc and other metalworking items on Ebay [email protected] Metalworking 88 April 17th 06 06:15 AM
Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:42 PM
FS: Sheldon WWII Army lathe and extras Keith Norman Metalworking 0 March 10th 04 10:47 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM