Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim Hall Jim Hall is offline

Default Lathe Spindle Taps

Thanks, Darrell.. Makes perfect sense now that you explained it.. An
endless supply of faceplates and glue blocks.. That is definitely a money
saving handy lathe accessory!! -Jim..

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
Jim
I use taps to clean the threads of face plates and such, but mostly to

make
jigs, glue blocks, and wood faceplates that do not tie up a metal

faceplate.
For an idea see http://aroundthewoods.com/gblock.shtml

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Jim Hall" wrote in message
If you don't mind me asking, when would you use the tap?
For threading a blank on to the spindle shaft for bowl turning, maybe?
Better than a chuck? Thanks..

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
. ..
Strange, when I got mine at MSC several years ago they had no

problems.
Bought the cheapest one they had and it still works great. But then

they
are metal taps but still do excellent in wood. Maybe they should

order
from MSC.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org
"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:34:32 -0700, mac davis

wrote:

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:26:01 GMT, "Tom Storey"

wrote:

I tried to order a 1 1/4 x 8 tap from JR Beal a few months ago and

was
told
the ones they had were flawed. I think a few on this ng had the

same
response. I checked again a couple of weeks ago and JR sent me one

of
the
new taps for a user trial. Works great, just like advertised and
apparently
they now have all the popular sizes in quantity.

No affiliation, just a happy customer

Damn, I hope you're right about the "they now have all the popular

sizes
in
quantity"....
I've had a 1-8 spindle tap on backorder for months and I'm moving on
October
12...

Mac

Follow up for those interested:
I exchanged emails with J.R. at Beall and found that while he had a

good
supply
of the 1 1/4" x 8 taps, the other sizes were not available..
He hoped to have them within a month..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis