Paul

Default Lathe moved

Well I moved the lathe to its final resting position yesterday. Using a
floor jack and a pry bar. Not too hard but probably not the safest way.
However, it is now resting where
it will stay. Looks good there. Next step cleaning....making phase
converter...tooling up (here comes the expense.)

Reno, Paul

Steve Lusardi

No Paul,
The next step is making the lathe level and square. This is without doubt,
the most important step. Do it right.
Steve

"Paul" wrote in message
Well I moved the lathe to its final resting position yesterday. Using a
floor jack and a pry bar. Not too hard but probably not the safest way.
However, it is now resting where
it will stay. Looks good there. Next step cleaning....making phase
converter...tooling up (here comes the expense.)

Reno, Paul

Dan Caster

IMHO, the most important thing is to make sure the lathes bed is not
twisted because the legs at the headstock and tailstock are working
against each other.

The usual way to do this is to use a sensitive level across the ways
at both ends of the lathe and shim the legs so the level reads level.
I am assuming that there are no leveling screws on your lathe legs.

Dan

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Steve,
I have no idea how to do that. Metal Shims? Hints would be good.

Reno, Paul

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
No Paul,
The next step is making the lathe level and square. This is without doubt,
the most important step. Do it right.
Steve

Brian Lawson

Hey Paul,

Glad to hear you're happy and that it all went well and is over. Any
advice or comments now on what has happened?

And where's the pix?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:40:30 -0800, "Paul"
wrote:

Well I moved the lathe to its final resting position yesterday. Using a
floor jack and a pry bar. Not too hard but probably not the safest way.
However, it is now resting where
it will stay. Looks good there. Next step cleaning....making phase
converter...tooling up (here comes the expense.)

Reno, Paul

Paul Amaranth

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Steve,
I have no idea how to do that. Metal Shims? Hints would be good.

Reno, Paul

There should be leveling screws in the base. Ideally, you should use
a precision level. Hard as it is to believe, the bed will twist and
bend if not properly leveled making it impossible to do high precision
work. It may only be 1 or 2 thous off, but that's a lot if you're
shooting for tenths.

"Paul" wrote in message
Well I moved the lathe to its final resting position yesterday. Using a
floor jack and a pry bar. Not too hard but probably not the safest way.
However, it is now resting where
it will stay. Looks good there. Next step cleaning....making phase
converter...tooling up (here comes the expense.)

Reno, Paul

Paul

Dan,
None that I can see, I'll have to dig around in the bases to see if they are
there.
But I doubt it. I don't recall seeing any when it was up in the air.

Reno, Paul

m...

"Paul" wrote in message

Steve,
I have no idea how to do that. Metal Shims? Hints would be good.

Reno, Paul

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
No Paul,
The next step is making the lathe level and square. This is without

doubt,
the most important step. Do it right.
Steve

Paul

Default The Moving of my lathe. Long...was Lathe Moved

Moving a lathe, Moving an engine lathe, Moving a metal lathe. add some
search lines.

Hi Brian, My eyes have stopped twitching since I got it home and on the
ground!

The surprise was that everything went smoothly! But on the other hand with
everyone's
advice I should have known it would. The loading company had to get the
lathe
out of a tight spot quite close to a rather large mill. They used 4 super
dollies/skates
approximately 1 1/2 inches tall. By prying the benches up and sliding these
under them.
The odd part to me was the fact that they place the dollies on diagonal
corners 2 per bench.
So instead of having them all the way under the benches they only used half
of the available
surface. (on the dollies) Once they had it up on the dollies no problem.
Rolled it slowly
to the roll up door where they did some chaining and lifted it.

The move was done via a straight 6 Jeep grand Cherokee and a Single axle
trailer. 5' x 10' with
high sides 36' or so. Tires at 50 PSI. The amount of weight with the lathe
was actually about 250 pounds
over max rating for the trailer. I used (4) 2 inch allied industrial
ratcheting tie downs and several pieces of
2"x4" s. Before the trip I cut pieces of 2x4 the width of the trailer. One
for the front and one for the back of
the lathe. I ran 3 inch screws into the lumber to have it ready when I got
there. After the lathe was lifted and
placed in the trailer these were screwed down the wooden deck in front and
behind the lathe to help keep
it from sliding. (again from the group.) The first time they lowered the
lathe into the trailer it almost lifted
the front of the truck up. However, I was on top of it and had them lift it
back up quickly. With it a few
inches off the trailer I moved forward and we tried again...still not right
but better. A few forward and
backward moves and we had it perfect. With the lathe being close to 8 feet
long and only having 2 feet
of extra room I was quite worried it would not work. But no problem. I
actually found that it was more
balanced than when I carry lumber around. Anyhow it took me about an hour to
get it cinched down
properly.

Let me interject an error on my part here. One thing I did not do was cover
the lathe with a tarp
for the trip. Believing that it would not rain I did not bring one. HA! It
did rain a little bit and it
started to do so while I was tying down. If I ever do this again I would
tarp it even if it was summer.
Why? Because of Road debris. The road is a filthy place and lots of that
gets thrown up on to
anything riding behind you. I lucked out and didn't get a lot due to the
high sides of the trailer.
But there is enough that I'll have to spend extra time cleaning it. No one
wants extra cleaning.

As stated before if you do this your truck will NOT stop anywhere near as
fast as empty. This
is at ANY speed. It will be noticeable even moving around a parking lot. I
found this out quickly
and it was exactly as I was told. Be prepared also for the fact that
tromping on the gas will most
likely do next to nothing. You will accelerate slowly that is a fact. Plus
going fast shouldn't be on
your list of things to do. Corners were ok I did slow down for them.
Protecting my lathe with
my life in a safe manner was the grand idea and it worked. Nothing
noticeable happened on the
trip over the Donner Summit pass into Reno. The truck pulled it just fine
and I don't think I got
below 35 at any point during the climb. Having overdrive turned off was of
utmost importance.
If it was on the transmission would have been hammering back and forth. This
also allowed me
to save my brakes. That much weight back there did push the vehicle a bit
but not to the point
that I felt out of control.

Back home.

Once home I parked it out in the street and covered it up for the night.
With a big tarp. Didn't
want my new baby to get cold...or let anyone see her. The riggers for
unloading showed up
1 1/2 hours later than expected Although they did have the courtesy to call
me and let me know.
The rigger this time one guy (loading was two) brought a flat bed truck tilt
bed with the forklift on
it. He used fork extensions to get under the ways of the lathe to lift it
out of the trailer. Simple and
quick. After that he sat it down on 2 x 4 s so he could pick it up length
wise from head stock to
tail stock. VERY VERY scary! The fork extensions did not quite go to the end
of the second bench.
With the forks under the benches we also chained it from end to end
connecting it to the forklift
fork frame. He picked it up and it shifted a little. I almost smut myself
then. But it did not fall off and
wasn't teetering as though it would.... up the drive way to my garage. The
reason he had to pick it
up length wise? Well my garage is only 7' tall at the top of the door.
Driving the forklift inside was
not an option. He sat one end of the lathe down inside the garage on 2 x 4's
again and pulled
the other end of the lift out from under it. All this with the mast of the
forklift within inches of the
edge of the house. After that I had him push it into the garage another
couple of feet using a 4x4 between
the forks and the lathe bench. It slid just fine...except when we first
started to slide the lathe.
The end that was still up on the 2 x 4 s started to slide off. So I had to
screw a couple of boards
on the end of those to create a "lip" for the lathe to grab...to push the
slats along with it. Otherwise
it would have fallen off and tipped over.

So End game its unloaded and I moved it some 4 feet using a crowbar and a 3
1/2 ton floor jack.

I'll repost this whole thing later with a link to the pictures...right now I
don't have the pictures
developed. I took somewhere around a whole roll of pictures.

Reno, NV Paul

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
Hey Paul,

Glad to hear you're happy and that it all went well and is over. Any
advice or comments now on what has happened?

And where's the pix?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Pete Logghe

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Moving a lathe, Moving an engine lathe, Moving a metal lathe. add some
search lines.

Hi Brian, My eyes have stopped twitching since I got it home and on the
ground!

The surprise was that everything went smoothly! But on the other hand with
everyone's
advice I should have known it would.

snipped..

Let me interject an error on my part here. One thing I did not do was cover
the lathe with a tarp
for the trip. Believing that it would not rain I did not bring one. HA! It
did rain a little bit and it
started to do so while I was tying down. If I ever do this again I would
tarp it even if it was summer.
Why? Because of Road debris. The road is a filthy place and lots of that
gets thrown up on to
anything riding behind you. I lucked out and didn't get a lot due to the
high sides of the trailer.
But there is enough that I'll have to spend extra time cleaning it. No one
wants extra cleaning.

I learned from pro riggers...
Shrink wrap it. It's quick, and easy. It's cheap.
If there are sharp or fragile corners, baby diapers (new, clean)
work good for padding, and later they soak up oil real good.
This will also protect from the tarp rubbing off paint if you also
use that.
Pete

Brian Lawson

Hey Paul,

Good description. And I'm glad you didn't let anybody there "push
you" because they were in a hurry. And you know,I amy be wrong, but
I don't EVER recall that we (rcm'ers) mentioned tarping, which we
should have, but just be aware that it does have its own problems too.
Good story with an ending this audience really likes!

Hope you have as many happy hours "making stuff" on the lathe in the
rest of this year as you had moving it. Lathes, and most machines a
hobbiest has, are like personal airplanes... they sit quiet most of
the time, but are great fun once you get "flying". I doubt if any one
machine in my shop would see 50 hours of spindle rotation on a Hobbs
meter per year. And if I could learn to make the damn stuff "right"
the first time, it would only be 10 hours!!!!

Take care. Have mucho fun.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:27:09 -0800, "Paul"
wrote:

[...]

.. .