Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jim Hall Jim Hall is offline

Default Lathe Spindle Taps

Here's a good URL I found, in addition to Darrell's previously mentioned,
that was very helpful on this subject.. -Jim

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...Faceplates.htm

"meturner19" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new and just following this 'tap' root...(ooah), I'm wondering
what the differences are between the Beal wood taps and a general
'bottom tap'? Is it just a difference in the number of lead threads
tapered and/or the shank diameter? What would be the best way to hold
the tap and wood piece -assuming the piece is a small glue block type
size and shape (approx. 3 inches)? Could you still use the wood tap
for steel in a pinch? I see the price of a wood tap is about 42% more
than a regular bottom tap (1" - 8 NC). Has anyone tried both and which
do you like?

thanks... june, in Denver

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
True, Bill
But when I think the threads are getting loose, I just heave that glue

block
and make another. I find the maple ones last a long, long, time.