Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Lathe Spindle Taps

Sorry, June, I have not used the Beal and I am not sure of the differences
between it and other taps. My understanding is that the Beal is a wood tap
and likely structured for a different thread than a metal tap. Not all
threads are the same even when the same number per inch. Generally in metal
work, a bottoming tap follows a taper tap so as to get to the bottom of a
blind hole.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"meturner19" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm new and just following this 'tap' root...(ooah), I'm wondering
what the differences are between the Beal wood taps and a general
'bottom tap'? Is it just a difference in the number of lead threads
tapered and/or the shank diameter? What would be the best way to hold
the tap and wood piece -assuming the piece is a small glue block type
size and shape (approx. 3 inches)? Could you still use the wood tap
for steel in a pinch? I see the price of a wood tap is about 42% more
than a regular bottom tap (1" - 8 NC). Has anyone tried both and which
do you like?

thanks... june, in Denver

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
True, Bill
But when I think the threads are getting loose, I just heave that glue

block
and make another. I find the maple ones last a long, long, time.