mac davis

Default Sizing up our hobby. Musing about 'bigness'

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 14:03:28 GMT, "Bill Grumbine"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

Bill... the image of you turning a little bowl on a Jet mini made me spray
coffee... lol

I can just see it on a 4" high table with an offset for the turning
muscle.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hang onto your coffee Mac! I spent yesterday's turning time doing up some
confetti lights in the 3" and 4" diameter range! I did use the Poolewood
though. ;-)

I didn't drop it, Bill.. I sort of sprayed it...
Having lots of computer experience, I did manage to turn my head and not hit the
keyboard or monitor..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

Default Sizing up our hobby. Musing about 'bigness' (OT rant)

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:01:19 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

Hi mac, I loved my '91 Dodge Dakota, so I didn't look around for a
different '05 PU. The person who designed those stupid doors to the so
called 'back seat' ought to be strung up or at least have to load
groceries at a crowded parking lot. They can't be opened without opening
the front door. My new PU with is tiny cab space and enormous fenders
reminds me of a pretty woman with a bad disposition. Glad I kept the
'91. It was worthless as trade in.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Our Dak (01) is the "club cab"... have to reach in back after folding seats
forward... the 99 ram is a "quad cab" but I've only found 1 out of the 4 cabs...
lol
It has the type doors that you're talking about, I think.. used to call them
suicide doors..

The fix to loading groceries is to open front & rear doors, then close front
door... that gives you room for that cart from the borg and access to the back
seat, so you can tie down those 2x4's that run from the tailgate through the
back window and into the front seat.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:02:49 -0500, "Kevin" wrote:

"Bill Grumbine" wrote in message
. ..
Perspective of a big guy.

Arch, and anyone else reading this, I thought I would add my perspective,
not so much as a professional but as a big guy. I like big. Most of the
time small, or even normal size doesn't cut it for me. Big shoes, big
clothes, big hats are just the beginning.

Seems I am also in the process of developing a 'turning muscle'. Whether it
comes from age or turning, I care not.

I'm sort of proud of my turning muscle, kevin...
It took a lot of work, pumping those 12 ouncers for many tears, to work up to
the repetitions required... *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:43:02 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Ecnerwal" wrote: (clip).but if Leo wants to make a LARGE donation, I'm
sure I can work something out ;-). (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My donations are always in the form of IDEAS. ;-)
BTW, right now I am amusing myself by visualizing a Jet Minilathe running
off a flat belt off of line shafting.

Aren't they SUPPOSED to be set up like that, Leo??

Maybe I hooked mine up wrong!

(I did take advantage of the overhead power shaft to run a few ceiling fans)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bjarte Runderheim

"Arch" wrote in message
Thanks George, Bjarte & Derek. No argument here about quality, the value
of heavy iron or the 'rightness' of upsizing. (my spell checker
suggested "capsizing" ,
"aspiring" and "baptizing" for "upsizing")
Anyway, I was just wondering about size; not the importance of other
attributes.

I was musing about the relation and limits, if any, of equipment _size
to the pieces we actually turn.

p.s. Bjarte, You'll be pleased to know that my spell checker suggested
"smart" for Bjarte, but we all knew that.

(blush, blush

Bjarte