Arch

Default Musing about Memorial Day in the USA. Long & mushy but PC.

RCW is an _international ng, so I'll grieve for and remember with
appreciation and pride America's "Great Generations" somewhere other
than here, on this USA Memorial Day. However there are some generations
that woodturners everywhere might want to remember. I think it adds
immeasurably, whether craft or art, hobby or business for all of us to
learn something of woodturning's history and perhaps remember our
heritage.

Woodturning has become unbelievably popular with so many avenues to
explore and a huge choice of fine affordable equipment that was unknown
only a few years ago. Today, the willingness to share knowledge and
modern ways to impart it, spares us the long apprenticeships of the
past. Forums such as this are examples.

How can we enjoy such bounty, yet be true to all we have inherited and
in a meaningful way remember the honest and difficult beginnings of our
craft? We are amazed at the exquisite designs and marvelous execution
of the turnings of today, but are we a bit too sophisticated and do we
know too much? Maybe not, but are we getting spoiled by so much
'progress' and could we do with a dose of humility?

I know we are supposed to keep open minds toward advances and stay on
the cutting edge of the craft, but there is no harm in celebrating the
work of those who turned before us.

A suggestion: How about turning something plain and ordinary with simple
tools today as a mark of respect and thanks? It might be a way to
enhance the enjoyment of a great craft and link us with those who came
before. A homely bowl, rough chair leg or tacky candlestick with no
decoration or enhancement kept in the shop might keep us humble and
that's not a bad thing.

p.s. This mushy musing will nauseate some of you, but no one can say
it's not politically correct.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

=======I don't know, Arch. Calling a bowl, homely; a chair, rough; a
candlestick, tacky?? Seems that assigning such derogatory terms to
design-challenged items could be considered un-PC. Also paying homage to
dead, white, principally European males would be considered anathema. I
guess you need to be sent back to a re-education camp for the PC-challenged.
Tsk, tsk!*TIC*

Leif

Lynn Coffelt

"A homely bowl, rough chair leg or tacky candlestick with no
decoration or enhancement kept in the shop might keep us humble and
that's not a bad thing."

Humph! Call me humble.
Homely bowls, rough chair legs, tacky candlesticks my eye! These are my
specialty! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and I, in most instances
AM the beholder!
Old Chief Lynn

Lynn Coffelt

I Got that wrong (again). PC (underlined) is in the eyes of the source.
Old Chief Lynn

Kevin

"Arch" wrote in message

---snippage---

A suggestion: How about turning something plain and ordinary with simple
tools today as a mark of respect and thanks? It might be a way to
enhance the enjoyment of a great craft and link us with those who came
before. A homely bowl, rough chair leg or tacky candlestick with no
decoration or enhancement kept in the shop might keep us humble and
that's not a bad thing.

But what can those of us who can do no better than turn homely [read: homey]
bowls?

Leif Thorvaldson

"Kevin" wrote in message

"Arch" wrote in message

---snippage---

A suggestion: How about turning something plain and ordinary with simple
tools today as a mark of respect and thanks? It might be a way to
enhance the enjoyment of a great craft and link us with those who came
before. A homely bowl, rough chair leg or tacky candlestick with no
decoration or enhancement kept in the shop might keep us humble and
that's not a bad thing.

But what can those of us who can do no better than turn homely [read:
homey]
bowls?

====There, there Kevin! Hopefully we have stopped Arch from making such
value judgments in the future. All bowls are beautiful and comparison with
others is not fair!!!

Leif

Woodworking Show on Long Island April 9th & 10th Kevin Morgan Woodworking 0 March 29th 05 09:58 PM
Shock well - how long is too long? S.L. Home Ownership 1 January 16th 05 10:43 PM
The Shelf that Rearranged a Workshop - Long. Groggy Woodworking 18 January 5th 05 05:59 AM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Long post about boilers and stuff - with too many questions....! Simon Hawthorne UK diy 11 January 4th 04 10:06 AM