Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Arch

Default Sizing up our hobby. Musing about 'bigness'

Most of us grew up thinking that big is best, but Is it? So many big
things we once admired are gone. You choose, but the Zeppelins, the
Titanic and the World Trade Center come to mind. It seems that when
anything goes wrong with education, business, government, religion and
yes, woodturning associations, growth, expansion and becoming bigger is
invariably the stock remedy.

Is It truly the same with woodturning? I make no value judgement here,
but It seems the normal and recognized path for most _hobby turners is
to learn on and enjoy many happy hours with their mini lathes. Then they
feel compelled to 'upgrade' to bigger lathes, bigger tools, bigger
shops, bigger timbers, and bigger bowls for bigger satisfactions. IOW,
big is the goal without which the hobby will become little.

Given that bigger is a good thing and a worthy goal for the growth of
the average (I omit dedicated pen and minature folks)
turner, then how much bigger is best?

Of course, big means more than swing; vibration, stability, pride of
gear, etc. also count, but after the first blush of knowing
'youcanturnitbig' wanes, what size bowls, platters and wall plaques are
thereafter turned on these bigger lathes? Is there a practical limit
regardless of the bigness of the gear and timber? Do human sized dining
tables, walls, display shelves and pocket books render a fifty inch
swing on a _hobby lathe moot?

Why did you, Mr. Hobbiest, 'upgrade' to bigger equipment? What is the
size of your big lathe and the usual size of the things that you
regularly turn on it? Cost, space, art and ego aside, can bigger ever
be too big?

For starters, I favor a 16 inch swing lathe and I swivel the headstock
mostly for comfort. I seldom turn anything over 14 inches in
diameter...and I kept my mini. How's by you, big guy?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter