Graeme :\)

Default do you use a sharpening jig???

just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

--
Graeme

Greg G.

Graeme said:

just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

Well, I'm not exactly seasoned, but I too drooled over the jigs for a
while. But not anymore. After a few tries at manually sharpening I
got the hang of it and gave up on the jigs. Don't want to waste time
while turning to mess with setting up and adjusting a jig.

An absolutely perfect edge is not necessary, just a good, consistent
edge and bevel. Heck, it's gone in a few minutes anyway, and there
you are again.

There are some plans for building your own, but I can't recall the web
address. DAGS and you will probably find them. I believe one of the
better designs is given away by a French speaking guy in Canada.

A slow speed 8" grinder equipped with a coarse gray wheel, and a good
60-80 grit friable wheel. A good, flat, square to the wheel tool rest
on the grinder is a plus as well.

Dell Stubbs and Richard Raffan both have videos that take some of the
mysteries out of sharpening your tools manually. It takes them all of
20 seconds to sweeten a tool edge.

JMHO,

Greg G.
Darrell Feltmate

Graeme
I use a jig or free hand as the mood hits me but I get a more consistent
grind with a jig. Either way is very quick. I have plans for a jig on my web
site.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

billh

I started without a jig and got fairly good at freehand sharpening. After
seeing some demos I bought a Oneway Varigrind jig and now use it all the
time for my bowl gouges. More consistent grind and I think I consume less
tool per sharpening. The best thing is the consistency.
Billh

"Graeme " wrote in message
just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

--
Graeme

Earl

I started free hand grinding. Did OK but not great. Gouges were never
really, really sharp. Made some jigs and haven't looked back. Takes
hardly anytime at all to slip a gouge into the jig. 5 seconds?? Much
more consistent and sharp. I still freehand parting tools and skews.
Earl

George

"Graeme " wrote in message
just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

Freehand. The bevel is its own guide.

Don't have the same angles on any of my bowl gouges, nor my forged or
cylindrical "spindle" gouges, so one size would fit one.

If you get a grinding jig, you more or less commit yourself to using a
less-than-optimum presentation for some cuts because it's the only grind you
have.

Bill B

Graeme wrote:
just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

--
Graeme

Both. A Wolverine jig when I reshape or have a very dull, or chipped
tool. Hint: dont run the gouge into the chuck jaws...

Freehand for skews, parting tools, scrapers or quick touchups on the gouges.

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Derek Andrews

Graeme wrote:
just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

No. My opinion is that sharpening relies on the same sort of
manipulative, empathetic and problem-solving skills that are the basis
of good turning techniques. So I like to develop both side by side.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Darrell Feltmate

George wrote
"If you get a grinding jig, you more or less commit yourself to using a
less-than-optimum presentation for some cuts because it's the only grind you
have."

Actually, George, most of the grinding jigs I have seen allow for a fair
amount of flexibility in the grinds offered. Mostly, they keep one's hands
in set patterns but a fair amount of experimentation is needed to find the
patterns that one likes.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

billh

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
George wrote
"If you get a grinding jig, you more or less commit yourself to using a
less-than-optimum presentation for some cuts because it's the only grind
you
have."

Actually, George, most of the grinding jigs I have seen allow for a fair
amount of flexibility in the grinds offered. Mostly, they keep one's hands
in set patterns but a fair amount of experimentation is needed to find the
patterns that one likes.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

I agree, there is a lot of flexibility. In fact I would say that is one
thing that is seen by new jig users (at least the Varigrind or its clones)
as surprising or even disappointing is the fact that you don't just plug the
gouge in and it comes out in the ideal shape and angle. After you determine
what you want then you get the consistency.
Billh

robo hippy

I did free hand grinding, until I got an Elsworth gouge, and his
grinding jig. Before that, I had 2 of the Veritas adjustable platforms
made for grinders. The scraper side (80 grit) was and still is set at
about 80 degrees (I never measured). On the gouge side, I set it at
about a 30 degree angle. This worked for gouges and skews. I had a
couple of different angled jigs to put on the platform for the few
other angles that I used. Now it is just the Elsworth jig on the gouge
side for all of my gouges. I seldom use a roughing gouge, and if it
needs to be touched up, I do it freehand. I also do the skews freehand.
The scrapers all are done on the same angle on the one platform. I have
2 gouges that I use for the bottoms of deep bowls and vessels, that are
done on the scraper side. Keep is simple, and make it easy to repeat.
robo hippy

George

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
George wrote
"If you get a grinding jig, you more or less commit yourself to using a
less-than-optimum presentation for some cuts because it's the only grind
you
have."

Actually, George, most of the grinding jigs I have seen allow for a fair
amount of flexibility in the grinds offered. Mostly, they keep one's hands
in set patterns but a fair amount of experimentation is needed to find the
patterns that one likes.

They do one grind per setting, don't they?

With me, one grind will not even do my bowl gouges, as they are ground for
different tasks. Of course, forged and roughing gouges are constant angle,
so the fixture would have to be stowed ... nope, not as adaptable as I
require. One pass left to right freehand takes less time than resetting for
length of handle.

It's not as difficult as it seems. Set the center of the grinder at the
same height as your lathe's, keep the toolrest close, and make believe
you're taking a cut -A_B_C. Works great.

Joe Fleming

I generally sharpen freehand, but do use a Wolverine to touch up my
shapes from time to time.
Joe Fleming - San Diego

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Graeme " wrote in message
just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

Freehand. The bevel is its own guide.

This method is inconsistent and can waste Steel

Don't have the same angles on any of my bowl gouges, nor my forged or
cylindrical "spindle" gouges, so one size would fit one.

All My Gouges are ground differently too with the one jig.

If you get a grinding jig, you more or less commit yourself to using a
less-than-optimum presentation for some cuts because it's the only grind
you have.

RUBBISH, you obviously have not used or seen the Uni-Jig 5 which lets YOU
grind and regrind the Bevel YOU want,. This jig is able to recreate ANY
grind once you know how to use it.
I use one to sharpen Skew chisels, Scrapers, Detail Gouges, Spindle Gouges,
Standard Grind Bowl Gouges, Ground Back Bowl Gouges, and even Drills

scott

having been "old-school" all the way I finally broke down and bought
the One Way Wolverine and a slow speed grinder like The Other Bruce
said. It is great for keeping that "just purchased" edge on your
cutting tools. - I've been turning since ...well longer than i like to
admit....like 1970...

scott

i completely agree with george....tho if you asked me 2 weeks ago i
might have said otherwise. having always prided myself on freehand
sharpening, it took realizing that i have a bunch of $ invested in
turning toiols that someone designed with a specific grind. to alter
that grind will produce less than optimum resulsts so i broke down and
bought a slow speed grinder and the Oneway Wolverine system weith the
Vari-grind (or whatever the thing is called) attachemnt. I've since
realized that all of my tools are better ground and as george said, you
waste very little steel - there is even something i just read that
says,"grind a little, and grind often" - as i said earlier in another
post, after being a semi-serious turner for over 30 years (and what I'd
call pretty serious) for the last 4 - this system was well worht the
small investment. Buy 2 or 3 good gouges and you've paid for the whole
rig.

Woodcut tools 2000 Ltd sales

It is encouraging to hear many of you sharing the benefits of jig
sharpening. More and more people are finding the difference at the lathe
from a really sharp edge.
The theory that near enough is good enough doesn't really cut it. If you
have invested good money in quality tools why have them sharpened to half
their potential. If we don't get it right at the sharpening center then we
will never get the best results at the lathe.

I am convinced that the time "lost" carefully sharpening your tools with a
jig will be amply made up by the extra time those tools stay sharp at the
lathe, and the cleaner cut on the wood.
Ken Port

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
.. .
Not sure of the meaning of "seasoned", but yes I use a sharpening jig, the
Wolverine by Oneway. I also use the Vari-grind attachment, the skew
attachment and the diamond truing attachment. I wouldn't want to live
without them. I'd rather spend my time turning, not sharpening.

Barry

"Graeme " wrote in message
just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

--
Graeme

Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Talking

All that this thread proves is that if you ask 20 woodturners a question you will get at least 25 answers!

As with so much in woodturning (and life in general) it doesn't matter how you do it as long as the end result suits you. There may be exceptions (danger to others comes to mind) but for grown up people to get as tetchy as some have in this thread makes me wonder whether they have a life at all.
George

"Graeme " wrote in message
[...]

OK, let's just say that after thousands of pieces and twenty years
experience, I can sharpen better than you can. Probably make smoother cuts
and strain my elbow less as well.

Strangely, it didn't take long to learn, and the carbon steel tools that
came with my first lathe, though shorter, are still making the final cuts.

>.

Any Jig but the one you stole Ken, and there is no need to Email Gorgi, Just
because You are finding it hard to sell your tools, Even Trend does not deal
with you because of the way you treat "Friends"
"Woodcut tools Thieves Ltd sales" wrote in
message

Darrell Feltmate

.

Would you please get a life and stop interfering with ours?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

M.J.

"Graeme " wrote in message

RUBBISH, you obviously have not used or seen the Uni-Jig 5 which lets YOU
grind and regrind the Bevel YOU want,. This jig is able to recreate ANY
grind once you know how to use it.
I use one to sharpen Skew chisels, Scrapers, Detail Gouges, Spindle
Gouges, Standard Grind Bowl Gouges, Ground Back Bowl Gouges, and even
Drills

OK, let's just say that after thousands of pieces and twenty years
experience, I can sharpen better than you can. Probably make smoother
cuts and strain my elbow less as well.

Strangely, it didn't take long to learn, and the carbon steel tools that
came with my first lathe, though shorter, are still making the final cuts.

You may very well be saving your elbows a lot of strain George but I fear
you are in grave danger of dislocating your shoulder by continually patting
yourself on the back.
--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

mac davis

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:02:02 +0000, Tony the Turner
wrote:

Graeme :\) Wrote:

All that this thread proves is that if you ask 20 woodturners a
question you will get at least 25 answers!

reminds me of an OLD quote... no idea who said it first:
"If you lined up every economist in the world head-to-toe, they couldn't reach a
conclusion"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

cm

I'll second that Darrell,
cm

www.arizonavintagetrailers.us

.

Would you please get a life and stop interfering with ours?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

>.

Excuse me! Did I force you to read my post? No!! so how am I interfering
with your life?
Ken is the only person I am talking to and HE is yet to explain HIS
treatment of FRIENDS and remember if he treats FRIENDS badly how is he going
to treat you when it comes to the crunch. I have already read HERE how he
has treated people and it is NOT GOOD.
so where this SPAMMER is concerned like ALL Other SPAMMERS BUYER BE AWARE.

"cm" wrote in message
I'll second that Darrell,
cm

www.arizonavintagetrailers.us

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
.

Would you please get a life and stop interfering with ours?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Darrell Feltmate

.
I am amazed that I bother replying to a namless post, but if it is true that
you are talking to Ken alone, why are you posting to this group and not
e-mailing him directly? If you have wood turning information, please share
it. If you have a need to vent personal invactive, please do it elsewhere
and/or seek professional help. Counselling can make a difference. In the
meantime I will add you to my message filters. Such a thing always seems a
shame but some people will abuse the priviledge of free dissemination of
knowledge.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

mac davis

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:58:13 GMT, "." wrote:

Excuse me! Did I force you to read my post? No!! so how am I interfering
with your life?
Ken is the only person I am talking to and HE is yet to explain HIS
treatment of FRIENDS and remember if he treats FRIENDS badly how is he going
to treat you when it comes to the crunch. I have already read HERE how he
has treated people and it is NOT GOOD.
so where this SPAMMER is concerned like ALL Other SPAMMERS BUYER BE AWARE.

Do you discuss your sex life at parties, too?
Have private discussions on the cb radio??

if you are only talking at Ken, email, phone, snail mail, etc. are the usual
methods, not a public forum...

"cm" wrote in message
I'll second that Darrell,
cm

www.arizonavintagetrailers.us

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
.

Would you please get a life and stop interfering with ours?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bjarte Runderheim

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message

.

Would you please get a life and stop interfering with ours?

I absolutely agree.

This no-name spammer, who does not know the difference between mail
and news, obviously has an axe to grind, and should not interfere here.

I bought a True-Grind jig from Woodcut a couple of years back, and although
I am a free-hander at heart, I find I save a lot of steel using the jig for
resetting
angle and shape to my tools when the free-handing gets out of hand,
so to speak.
I am amazed at the versatility and many uses of this relatively
simple tool.

Bjarte

>.

BUT HE STOLE THE IDEA FORM A FRIEND
"Bjarte Runderheim" wrote in message

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message

.

Would you please get a life and stop interfering with ours?

I absolutely agree.

This no-name spammer, who does not know the difference between mail
and news, obviously has an axe to grind, and should not interfere here.

I bought a True-Grind jig from Woodcut a couple of years back, and
although
I am a free-hander at heart, I find I save a lot of steel using the jig
for resetting
angle and shape to my tools when the free-handing gets out of hand,
so to speak.
I am amazed at the versatility and many uses of this relatively
simple tool.

Bjarte

Ken Moon

"." wrote in message
BUT HE STOLE THE IDEA FORM A FRIEND

=================================

If there's theft involved, then the matter belongs in court, not in this
forum. If there's not enough to take it to court, then there's no reason to
bring it here.

Graeme :\)

well im glad i caused a lot of you to own up to the fact that jigs can be of
use to seasoned turners as well as us green turners .. i have just got the
tobias kaye jig,, it is the biggest pain to set up in the first place but it
works wonders when its setup,, then any grind can be achieved in around 30
seconds and if you need a new weird angle on the newest wonder tool just
make up a template and its sorted forever (or untill the wheel shinks a
lot),, the main reason i got this jig is i live in england and tobias kaye
lives across the road from me thats my claim to fame .....i met him for
the first time when i asked if he could check i had set it up corectly.. hes
a very nice guy..
in conclusion to the survey ..........
consistency seems to be the main word describing jigs... my freehand
sharpening sucks so im happy to use a jig,,,

--
Graeme
" Daddy to 2 lost corn snakes "Heshe & Indy"

"Graeme " wrote in message
just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

--
Graeme

Sharpening - A Journey Towards Joinery Tom Watson Woodworking 7 August 9th 05 12:26 PM
Drill Bit Sharpening Tina Woodworking 43 March 20th 05 02:58 AM
Review: "Woodturning: Fundamentals of Sharpening" Terry Poperszky Woodturning 1 December 22nd 03 03:44 AM
Sharpening a Forstner Bit Ray Sandusky Woodturning 3 September 7th 03 08:01 PM