Greg G.

Default do you use a sharpening jig???

Graeme said:

just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

Well, I'm not exactly seasoned, but I too drooled over the jigs for a
while. But not anymore. After a few tries at manually sharpening I
got the hang of it and gave up on the jigs. Don't want to waste time
while turning to mess with setting up and adjusting a jig.

An absolutely perfect edge is not necessary, just a good, consistent
edge and bevel. Heck, it's gone in a few minutes anyway, and there
you are again.

There are some plans for building your own, but I can't recall the web
address. DAGS and you will probably find them. I believe one of the
better designs is given away by a French speaking guy in Canada.

A slow speed 8" grinder equipped with a coarse gray wheel, and a good
60-80 grit friable wheel. A good, flat, square to the wheel tool rest
on the grinder is a plus as well.

Dell Stubbs and Richard Raffan both have videos that take some of the
mysteries out of sharpening your tools manually. It takes them all of
20 seconds to sweeten a tool edge.

JMHO,

Greg G.