George

Default do you use a sharpening jig???

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
news:Ndp9f.59016$yS6.47006@clgrps12...
George wrote
"If you get a grinding jig, you more or less commit yourself to using a
less-than-optimum presentation for some cuts because it's the only grind
you
have."

Actually, George, most of the grinding jigs I have seen allow for a fair
amount of flexibility in the grinds offered. Mostly, they keep one's hands
in set patterns but a fair amount of experimentation is needed to find the
patterns that one likes.

They do one grind per setting, don't they?

With me, one grind will not even do my bowl gouges, as they are ground for
different tasks. Of course, forged and roughing gouges are constant angle,
so the fixture would have to be stowed ... nope, not as adaptable as I
require. One pass left to right freehand takes less time than resetting for
length of handle.

It's not as difficult as it seems. Set the center of the grinder at the
same height as your lathe's, keep the toolrest close, and make believe
you're taking a cut -A_B_C. Works great.