George

Default do you use a sharpening jig???

"." wrote in message

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Graeme " wrote in message
just wondering how many seasoned turners use a sharpening jig...
if so what sort etc,,, just a little survey

Freehand. The bevel is its own guide.

This method is inconsistent and can waste Steel

Don't have the same angles on any of my bowl gouges, nor my forged or
cylindrical "spindle" gouges, so one size would fit one.

All My Gouges are ground differently too with the one jig.

If you get a grinding jig, you more or less commit yourself to using a
less-than-optimum presentation for some cuts because it's the only grind
you have.

RUBBISH, you obviously have not used or seen the Uni-Jig 5 which lets YOU
grind and regrind the Bevel YOU want,. This jig is able to recreate ANY
grind once you know how to use it.
I use one to sharpen Skew chisels, Scrapers, Detail Gouges, Spindle
Gouges, Standard Grind Bowl Gouges, Ground Back Bowl Gouges, and even
Drills

OK, let's just say that after thousands of pieces and twenty years
experience, I can sharpen better than you can. Probably make smoother cuts
and strain my elbow less as well.

Strangely, it didn't take long to learn, and the carbon steel tools that
came with my first lathe, though shorter, are still making the final cuts.