billh

Default do you use a sharpening jig???

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
news:Ndp9f.59016$yS6.47006@clgrps12...
George wrote
"If you get a grinding jig, you more or less commit yourself to using a
less-than-optimum presentation for some cuts because it's the only grind
you
have."

Actually, George, most of the grinding jigs I have seen allow for a fair
amount of flexibility in the grinds offered. Mostly, they keep one's hands
in set patterns but a fair amount of experimentation is needed to find the
patterns that one likes.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

I agree, there is a lot of flexibility. In fact I would say that is one
thing that is seen by new jig users (at least the Varigrind or its clones)
as surprising or even disappointing is the fact that you don't just plug the
gouge in and it comes out in the ideal shape and angle. After you determine
what you want then you get the consistency.
Billh